• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ok......Termy or Coyote swap???

Stanghunter

I was just writing down some cost lists just hitting the big ticket items on both swaps, and it got me thinking.......

Coyote or Terminator??

They both seem to cost out about the same for the swap. Guys who have already done them what are some of the pros and cons to each?

Thanks!

cpearson1342

I was just going over this in my head myself. I have the opportunity to buy a terminator, which I am, but I was also considering doing a coyote. The real plus to a coyote is there's conversion parts for it on latemodelrestoration, it's naturally aspirated (if you go that route), there's a warranty, and it will have 0 miles on it.

The terminator on the other hand has fully forged internals, no matter which you buy (base coyote isn't forged), you can make a lot of power by either swapping a pulley or the s/c.

I haven't done either of them, but I have done a mach swap and I'm going to be trying out some long tubes for the new swap and hoping they fit, coyote engine has long tubes you can buy that should definitely fit with a tubular k member

cpearson1342

I think there's more people doing coyote swaps for the easyness, although they are very cool engines and look very clean. During mustang week I only saw one terminator swapped fox and one mach swapped fox in the show. There may have been a few more but not many

whiteponygt

I think the real question is how much power you trying to make if your shooting for 500-600 streetable hp for cheap go termy,ported blower pulley swap and ur right at it if u go coyote it's going to cost you 5000 more for a blower to get us there.

Stanghunter

Well I'd like to say I'd be more than happy staying around the 5-600......but I have this sickness! LOL
I likely do the Termy, just wanted to hear from others. I'm just having a hard time dropping $10k for the wrecked 03 Termy all at once! About how much money do you guys think can be recouped selling off parts of the car? All I'm keeping is the engine, Trans and maybe the IRS. The car has 31k miles and is Sonic Blue.

Thanks!

cpearson1342

Not too bad of a price for 31k, depending on what is damaged you could definitely make at least 2k back. The hood, rear decklid/spoiler, bumpers, and interior are probably going to make you most of the money back. And if you're not using the gas tank, that's also a decent price.

For mine I'm planning on keeping the interior to put in my car, which takes away most of the profit (there's grease on the seats anyway so hopefully it cleans up) and possibly using the gas tank too if I can get it to work pretty easily to keep up with the hp demand. It's currently at 636 rwhp so I'm going to go with a bigger pulley for now to take it down a bit

Stanghunter

It was hit in the pass side door so most of the Cobra stuff and interior is still good.
Wait..... You're going down in HP?

cpearson1342

Yes, for now. But definitely keeping the other pulley just in case. I don't like the fact that it will be running at 18 pounds of boost at all times. 10-12psi and 550 hp should be sufficient enough if I can even get the traction out of it

whiteponygt

Heck at that price fix it and sell it you could make a quick 6000.that low of Miles and a sonic blue.even sell it as a roller those cars are way to nice to tear apart and leave in pieces.

Stanghunter

I sat there staring at it for a long time trying to figure out if it could be fixed, trust me, a sonic Cobra is way up high on my wanted list!!! Anything can be fixed if you throw enough money at it but I think it would cost more to fix it than it's worth or would ever be worth! I'll post pics once I pick it up from my friends house.

rq323

Terminator swap or coyote swap is almost the same in cost I guess is all in how much your willing to spend I took on the task of restoring my fox and parting my terminator to do my swap hopefully I learn how to up load pics and share with you guys

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Trakspeed

I questioned this question as many others have I'm sure, in the end I decided to go with the Termi swap. I'm just starting the swap now and hoping I made the right decision. Time will tell....

cpearson1342

I questioned this question as many others have I'm sure, in the end I decided to go with the Termi swap. I'm just starting the swap now and hoping I made the right decision. Time will tell....

I have no doubt in my mind that you will love it. Most of the time while I'm driving around I hit the gas just to hear the supercharger whine. I have stock boost, 8lbs, and I'm not sure of the weight of my car as I need to check at some point, but I've run 11.8 as my best time so far on 295 toyo r888's and I'm pretty sure it's got mid to low 11's in it. I'll attach my dyno sheet, which was done on a day that was about 100 degrees in the shop by Kevin Hand and Wicked Motorsports. I beat my friend in his 2016 mustang PP with no problem rolling race and at the drag strip. If you start out with a forged cobra engine you are much better off, as now I'll have to forge the internals on mine and get a VMP in the (hopefully) near future.
Dyno.jpg

tricky LX

in the end might be cheaper to just to buy one
the build process was too long in my eyes so just bought one
took awhile to find the right one though....lots are just cobbled together.

cpearson1342

The build process should take a while if it's done right. But at least in the end you know it is done how you want and done right. (If you do it right)

Speedtospare

Well I have a 4.6 4V and eaton swap alreay but if I was going to do it all over again I would go with a coyote because my 4.6 is a non foged unit. This is what I would build now.

13+ truck coyote (has the rods good to 750 whp) 80mm billet VS racing chinese turbo, meth kit, 80lb injectors, 400 lph walboro in the tank, new fuel lines to stock rails. Solid 700+ whp at 18 psi on pump gas and meth.

Speedtospare

I have no doubt in my mind that you will love it. Most of the time while I'm driving around I hit the gas just to hear the supercharger whine. I have stock boost, 8lbs, and I'm not sure of the weight of my car as I need to check at some point, but I've run 11.8 as my best time so far on 295 toyo r888's and I'm pretty sure it's got mid to low 11's in it. I'll attach my dyno sheet, which was done on a day that was about 100 degrees in the shop by Kevin Hand and Wicked Motorsports. I beat my friend in his 2016 mustang PP with no problem rolling race and at the drag strip. If you start out with a forged cobra engine you are much better off, as now I'll have to forge the internals on mine and get a VMP in the (hopefully) near future.

I'm running one more psi than you and 96 cobra cams. I make 460/440 and run 11.5@122 spinning 1-2. Its a fun car but I'm at the limits of the rods. Been running like that for 3 years with no issues. I am considering swapping to a coyote next or building a forged setup. 700 whp is my limit for a street car.

Gearbox94

Really a hard decision. Both are fantastic options but I guess ultimately it depends on what you're looking for out of the swap. What really sold me about the terminator swap was the forged internals. And its extremely easy to make more power by adding a pully or upgrading the blower. I think the terminator swap is more costly but there's a lot more room for power improvement seeings how you have a pretty bullet proof bottom end. All in all though I think they are both great motors.