• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any specific/immediate concerns for a DOHC 4.6

azsnake

Ok so I'm about to pull the trigger on a 4.6 out of 99 GT at a local salvage yard, but a "you pull it" type yard just got a 2001 Aviator with less than 100K on the odo on the lot this week. I can get the engine for 150, and the trans for another 125. Not sure how much of a bitch it is to pull this motor out of that truck but I'm willing to put the effort in. I've got my ducks in a row for the SOHC swap, but do I need to do anything different right off the bat for the DOHC? My 98 Cobra didn't have much room at all in the engine bay, and I'm just not sure if I'll need anything in addition to what I've currently procured for a SOHC swap.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
At that price, and assuming you have a place to put it, the Aviator engine and trans seem like a smoking deal. I would say go for it. I would.

azsnake

Yea, actually pulled it yesterday. took me all day and prob took a year off my life due to triple digit temps and high humidity (thank god for good friends with excellent tools). Got a 98 donor car that I'll be towing up to my place on Wed. I'll then start stripping the car of pretty much EVERYTHING from the hydroboost/rack to the rear suspension, to the full interior etc, etc. Then I'll pull the 4 banger and trans from the fox, strip the engine bay and interior and start the work. I've got about a year to complete the projects for my kids 16th birthday. Just have to see if I cant get the ECU from the donor car tuned up for the DOHC as I have a working key for the PATS.

azsnake

Sounds like a project .. post up pics of the progress
I'll start here soon...life has been crazy, and work had had me traveling over the last week. Hopefully early Aug I'll start in earnest. I'll take pics along the way and make a build thread while I'm at it. In Oct I won't be traveling for work anymore so I'll crank up my productivity then.