• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

03 Cobra heads

EvinH

I purchased a set of 03 Cobra heads to kick off my mod build and wanted to know if the 99/01 Cobra intakes will fit these heads? It looks like the Mach 1 intakes w/o the snake logo. I also wanted to know in order to use these heads do I need to use an 99 - up PCM and wiring harness since they are COP or could I use a 96-98 PCM and engine harness and use coil packs? Thanks.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I've never tried to put that intake on a set of termi heads, but I can tell you that you can use the older style coil packs with them. I'm not sure why you would want to, unless you get the harness for next to nothing, but it will work.

EvinH

Thanks for the input Bill. I believe I've seen/read about people using that intake in replacement of the blower setup on a Termi when going to turbos. I could be mistaking though and it could have said they swapped same year heads as well.

As for the COP vs coil pack, I was just curious as to which way to go, because it seems like the 96-98 Cobra stuff goes into the Fox a little easier, but most likely I will just figure out what I need to do to make the COP work on the new motor and in the fox.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
From a wiring perspective I think you'll find that there isn't much difference (workwise) in the way a 96-98 vs 99+ goes in. The easiest way to make everything work is to use as much of a complete donor harness as possible. At a minimum, that usually means using the engine harness and ecm, with pigtail parts of the dash harness. That doesn't mean that you have to give up your dash, ac, etc. It just means that your choices in one area dictate the amount of work required in another.

EvinH

Thats pretty much what I was looking for. I think I was more worried with the PATS system on the 99 and up cars. I've read some contradicting/confusing statements about what needs to be done to bypass it.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
A skilled tuner can turn your PATS off. Some of the guys on here have been able to bypass them without having to take it to a tuner, but since you are planning a block-up build, you need to plan a tuner. Find out who the local Mustang club uses (if there is one). I use SCT for several reason, but primarily because so many dyno shops know how to manipulate it. Figure out who will do the tune. Talk to them and tell them about the build. That will help you better prepare/plan for getting you toy to fire up the first time.

EvinH

Bill, again, many thanks. Would you recommend an unlocked SCT X3 device or one specific to the model year PCM I will end up using?

whiteponygt

I agree with Bill I talked to two local tuners before I started,he disabled PATS for me all I had to do was drop off my pcm (on my first attempt at the swap)the second time I used everything from a donor car so my PATS is still functional.The COP is alot cleaner looking on these swaps depends on which harness you use the 99-up will already be COP if you use the 96-98 there was a post in here about doing the conversion , it's really easy,just pay attention to the diagram,good luck with you swap,post up some pics

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Bill, again, many thanks. Would you recommend an unlocked SCT X3 device or one specific to the model year PCM I will end up using?
Check with your tuner. If they have a set of generic Cobra tunes already, the unlocked unit would be fine. If not, they may recommend a specific one from the factory.