• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

03 Cobra into a 93 GT build thread....

Stanghunter

I made the deal on a friends totaled 31k mile 03 Cobra today. So my swap plans are moving forward. I'll be bringing it home in a week or two. I'll post pics then of it.

Cars involved-

93 GT, my first fox and had it since 97.
AJE K, MM coil overs and other stuff, built 8.8, Cobra brakes.

03 Cobra, 31k miles and bone stock!

WIRING----

So after spending hours reading on here over the last few days trying to decide which way I wanted to go as far as wiring goes..... I had decided to swap the whole harness but keep the fox interior. But then I got the idea to call and talk to Chris at Pro M to see if he made a harness for this swap. He doesn't but he said he would be happy to do so for me! I will be going that route on the wiring/ECU.

EXHAUST----

I have a set of JBA shorties but after hearing a friends ARH 1 7/8 LT's into 3" on his 04 Cobra I'm not sure what I'm doing just yet. Any one know if ARH LT's will fit into the fox swap?

That's as far as I've gotten so far. Please feel free to offer suggestions, correct me or call me a dumbass as needed! Looking forward to this build!

whiteponygt

I say go for it on the irs if it looking for a nice driver I had an 03 vert and I love the irs over the sra. I think there's a faq thread on here you can check but long tubes in theses cars will fit but not with put some good ole chop,cut,rebuild.would love to see some picks of ur car and the donor . Wrecked termis are one of those things you can't stand to look at but also can't look away .

Stanghunter

I say go for it on the irs if it looking for a nice driver I had an 03 vert and I love the irs over the sra. I think there's a faq thread on here you can check but long tubes in theses cars will fit but not with put some good ole chop,cut,rebuild.would love to see some picks of ur car and the donor . Wrecked termis are one of those things you can't stand to look at but also can't look away .

Thanks for the response!
Pics will be coming! LOL yes I agree, I sat there staring at it for awhile in disbelief.... And trying to think of a way to fix it!
I'd like to say all I want is a nice driver but I'm sure I won't leave it stock for very long! I think I remember reading that a 8" wheel is all that will fit with the IRS in a fox??

whiteponygt

I can't say on the wheel width as I have not done the swap,I've been pondering the idea my self but have way too many other odds and ends to finish first,that may be true but with the right back spacing I don't see why a bigger tire can't be shoe horned in there. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know, you have spiked my curiosity.

Stanghunter

I can't say on the wheel width as I have not done the swap,I've been pondering the idea my self but have way too many other odds and ends to finish first,that may be true but with the right back spacing I don't see why a bigger tire can't be shoe horned in there. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know, you have spiked my curiosity.

I know how you feel, I have two projects going at the same time! Sometimes it feels like a 100 of them and I'm going backwards!
IIRCC it was something about the IRS cradle, how it wraps around the frame and a bolt head right in the wrong spot. I kinda thought about mini tubbing this one so not sure yet....

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The IRS is not a terribly difficult install. Your 03 donor car has the 31 spline set up. I've seen them handle 1000+ HP built. Tire size depends on you. The fender well is still the same size it always was, and in the same location. Suspensions travel on the rear is a bit different, but can be compensated for if you want larger tires and wheels. You will have to work with the offset instead of against it. MM makes a low profile bolt for the problem child. They also make the proper front bushings for the IRS swap. Full Tilt Boogie Racing makes one of the best (IMO) setup to eliminate the wheel hop issues, and will help you build it to meet your HP/Trq output goals.

Stanghunter

The IRS is not a terribly difficult install. Your 03 donor car has the 31 spline set up. I've seen them handle 1000+ HP built. Tire size depends on you. The fender well is still the same size it always was, and in the same location. Suspensions travel on the rear is a bit different, but can be compensated for if you want larger tires and wheels. You will have to work with the offset instead of against it. MM makes a low profile bolt for the problem child. They also make the proper front bushings for the IRS swap. Full Tilt Boogie Racing makes one of the best (IMO) setup to eliminate the wheel hop issues, and will help you build it to meet your HP/Trq output goals.

Thanks for the imput Bill, much appreciated!