• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1982 Mach Swap Steering Shaft

cpearson1342

We decided to go with the mach 1 steering shaft on the 82, as they're supposed to have a better feel and be more responsive, and since the trw rack doesn't fit on the tubular k-member. I made a hybrid shaft using the top half of the fox shaft to go into the steering column and the bottom half of the mach 1 steering shaft that includes the telescoping feature since the old shaft wouldn't have reached.20160222_152527.jpg 20160222_170435.jpg

CAMD FOX

Termi Swapped 4 Eye
Forgive me, my post count is below 10, so I can barely see your pictures. Did you swap the shafts at the universal joint? I put an 03 Cobra rack in my fox 2 years ago, but I did mine differently.

cpearson1342

I used the U-joint and up from the foxbody, and only took the telescoping part that attaches to the newer rack. They can both be easily separated at the joint without breaking the pieces that are needed. I used a cone metal burr to take apart the foxbody shaft, and for the newer shaft I simply used a cutoff wheel to cut the piece of the joint bracket it is pressed into on each side and it fell off.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I used the U-joint and up from the foxbody, and only took the telescoping part that attaches to the newer rack. They can both be easily separated at the joint without breaking the pieces that are needed. I used a cone metal burr to take apart the foxbody shaft, and for the newer shaft I simply used a cutoff wheel to cut the piece of the joint bracket it is pressed into on each side and it fell off.
I wondered how you did that :)

cpearson1342

If anyone else needs anymore clarification on where to cut, this is the sn95 shaft that I just cut for my car. I'll post the pic of the fox side when I do it. 20170619_165236.jpg

cpearson1342

If anyone is interested in buying a hybrid steering shaft, please pm me or look to my ad in the classifieds sections