• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1985 notchback 5.0 - 03 cobra powertrain

notch32v

I just purchased an extremely clean 85 notchback it has no trans or motor which is exactly what I wanted. I plan on putting the 03/04 cobra powertrain into this car. So first things first. I just finished the 5 lug conversion with 31 spline axels and now I am doing all the boddy work that needs to be done. Don't have any pics yet. 4:10 gear with ford 9 inch. I know I will need the guage cluster, the motor, the t56 tranny, the harness, and the k member but what problems am I going to run into? I am very handy when it comes to cars fox bodies in particular but this project is new to me and I am not sure what I need to be watching for. If someone who has completed a conversion like this could let me know I would greatly appreciate it! thanks Mike!.... I plan on swapping the stock SC with a whipple im shooting for 19 psi when this is all over!

FuturaGuy

Staff member
You mentioned the gauge cluster but didn't say if you plan to swap out the entire dashboard. I've seen it done. I'm not sure if you can adapt the late model cluster to the '85 dash. I used an '88 dash and cluster and had to do some very creative wiring, including making a custom wire harness, to mate the Modular engine wiring to the dash.

Ford made a change to the Fox body somewhere in the mid-'80's, making more room behind the kick panel on the passenger side. I did a Modular swap into a '79 Fairmont Futura and the computer didn't fit behind the kick panel. I cut and spliced a 35 inch extension into each of the 66 wires going to the computer and hung the computer off the bottom of the heater.

Whatever you do, get the wiring diagrams for both your car and the donor car. You'll need them or you'll never get it running. And write down everything that you do so you can fix it later.

notch32v

thanks.... I had someone offer me 3000 for the 85 so i couldnt pass it up.... I am now the proud owner of a 2003 svt cobra with a kenne bell :).... so I think I will just stick with it... cant wait for spring til I get to drive it

ELITE FORDS I'm currently working on a 03 cobra swap. See if you can help me out. I will install the 03 steering column into the 93 coupe using 93 power steering rack. Do I have to use a different steering shaft? Or do u recommend to make it easier