• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1999 gt swap

No2ndgear

Im swapping a 99 drivetrain into my 85. Factory my coupe has a return line. The 99 didnt. I have a aeromotive pump in my coupe now. Can i just change my fuel rails on the engine for a return system or do i have to,do more to retain my stock tank?

cpearson1342

You can go stick with the returnless style if you choose to, but you will need the fuel pump driver that was used with it. I don't know much about the aeromotive systems, but with my 86 I had to clip the ground going to the fuel pump and run that wire to the driver along with a few other wires. If you need a pinout of the fuel pump driver let me know and I'll link it.

azsnake

I have the same question, can the fuel rails be swapped out of a returnless system for return style rails? I have a 98 computer and would prefer a 99-04 motor and just swap out the injector rail to a 96-98 setup. It may need a tune to get the full potential of the 99-04 setup, but it would be a nice option.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I have the same question, can the fuel rails be swapped out of a returnless system for return style rails? I have a 98 computer and would prefer a 99-04 motor and just swap out the injector rail to a 96-98 setup. It may need a tune to get the full potential of the 99-04 setup, but it would be a nice option.
The short answer is, yes it can be done. There is a longer answer that deals with the rest of the fuel system (pump, lines, filter, regulator, etc.), but it sounds like you'll be able to figure that out. Don't forget that 1998 was divided into first half and second half for production setups. They are not quite the same, so do your diligence to make sure you get all the compatible parts.

azsnake

The short answer is, yes it can be done. There is a longer answer that deals with the rest of the fuel system (pump, lines, filter, regulator, etc.), but it sounds like you'll be able to figure that out. Don't forget that 1998 was divided into first half and second half for production setups. They are not quite the same, so do your diligence to make sure you get all the compatible parts.
I have a 98 donor car (rolling chassis) that was built in 11/97 so it's a very early 98. I'll be using the tank/pump etc, etc (my 93's tank had a broken baffle in it). My biggest hassle thus far is the motor. I have a 4.6 DOHC sitting in the garage, but this first car I'm doing is going to be my daughters car so I'm not interested in putting that motor in to her car. Thats going to be for me, so I'm looking for a 4.6 SOHC 2v motor, and I'd rather have something 99-04. My ECU for my 98 donor car is early enough that I only need one key to program new keys (which I have) so that avoids PATS issues to some degree. I know I can use the 98 computer on the 99-04 motor so a lot of my guess work is alleviated as I have the parts. I just wanted to avoid returnless fuel systems at all cost, and if I can retro a 99-04 to return style I'm golden.

Prob turbo/forge DOHC motor in the 98, see if I can run something like megasquirt on it, cage and spool it and run it as a track car only. Shes basically completely stripped at the moment.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Sounds like you have your hands full. If you haven't already acquired your SOHC, you might think of it in terms of a 98 with a PI head upgrade. That might help with parts shopping in the bone yards.

azsnake

Sounds like you have your hands full. If you haven't already acquired your SOHC, you might think of it in terms of a 98 with a PI head upgrade. That might help with parts shopping in the bone yards.
I've looked and am looking as that would be an ideal option. My area however is BARE when it comes to GT mustangs as far as salvage yards go. TONS and TONS of v6 cars, but GT's are like finding unicorns.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If you don't mind spending a bit extra, Autozone can order PI heads that come with a pretty decent warranty.