• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2001 navigator motor in a 1979 mustang coupe

boboli

I'm just starting this project and have a long way to go. The coupe body is completely bare except a suspension to roll it around. Body work and paint need to be done before the motor can be mounted in the car.
I'm hoping the Navigator motor is in useable shape. I found bits of the chain guides in the oil pickup. It wasn't blocked, thankfully, so hopefully the bearings are alright. I replaced the guides and installed a cobra oil pump and pickup while I was that far into the front of the motor.
I'm hoping to put this together fairly quickly. I don't need another 3 year project like my last one. I have acquired a harness, computer, oil pan, and k member from a 98 gt I found at the junkyard. I'm going to use a 4r70w, that i plan to rebuild myself.
That's the background, here's some pictures!
here's the car as it sat in my yard for 20+ yrs. it now sports a 1995 5 lug conversion and a 3.27 8.8 rear. The 84 convertible in the background may be sacrificed for its body parts, wiring, and interior to speed the 79 along
2s1kkeg.jpg

I'm using the MMR adapter plates with a Coyote manifold. Here's a quick shot of it mocked up. I'm not going to use the fly by wire TB
fnztj4.jpg

thanks for looking and I will post more pictures when I make more progress

boboli

I sat the motor in engine compartment.
Here it is mocked up with the coyote manifold.
wam0jd.jpg

I was a little worried about the throttle body sticking up too far for the stock hood to clear. I don't really want to buy an aftermarket hood. I want the car to have a stock look. Thankfully, there is plenty of room.
2cwt0tc.jpg

The engine is only going to be running the alternator and water pump. I moved the alternator to where the ac was. It was a real pain but I finally found a belt/ pulley combination that will keep the tensioner in the correct zone. I just need to build a mount for the top of the alternator to keep it from flexing too much.
2hfhrhz.jpg

I am going to be working on the chassis next. I have torque box reinforcement plates to install. I need to build a transmission cross member mount since the previous owner cut it out. I also will be installing a driveshaft loop.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
What tranny are you running? I would say, pull a cross member and mounting brackets from a wrecked Mustang at a salvage yard. Then all you have to do is mount the brackets and it will bolt up.

boboli

I am going to run a 4r70w. I am a terrible stick shift driver. Long ago, I swapped out a tremec for a c4 in my 351w powered 85 mustang. I picked up nearly a second! I am considering trying to make the body mounted part adjustable. That way I can easily swap transmissions. Maybe it would be possible to adapt the factory body mount so it can be moved in case of a transmission change.
I will check out the local pickNpull JY for parts

boboli

No. It's on the back burner. I actually decided the 79 needed too much work. I found an 86 3.8 notch for $400. It looks like it will be a ton easier to convert, so that's my plan now. I need to buy a converter for the 4r70w and then I can install everything and figure out the wiring. But I've got so much else going on, that this has not been a priority in over a year.