• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

86 4.6

roachedone

Donator
well we are finally under way... not much to show yet as the donor car and project car are in 2 different locations still.. today we got the axle out of the 04 under the 86.. with a set of bbk progresive springs, tubular upper control arms, stock shocks, it dosent look like we are going to have any rubbing issues.. Still in the process of stripping the 04 donor so not much to show yet

Attachments

• 04 front end.JPG
    04 front end.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 106
  • 86 axle in.JPG
    86 axle in.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 115
  • 04 front end.JPG
    04 front end.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 119
  • 04 stripped interior.JPG
    04 stripped interior.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 86 axle in.JPG
    86 axle in.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 110
  • 04 front end.JPG
    04 front end.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 98
  • 04 stripped interior.JPG
    04 stripped interior.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
  • 86 axle in.JPG
    86 axle in.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 121

myers407

Staff member
I used the rear form the 02GT in my 87. I have not seen any problems with rubing but if you are using the brakes from your doner (mine is ABS with Traction) be carful with the rear brake lines. I did have some trouble there nothing major but when the springs would compress it was catching the lines.

roachedone

Donator
I used the rear form the 02GT in my 87. I have not seen any problems with rubing but if you are using the brakes from your doner (mine is ABS with Traction) be carful with the rear brake lines. I did have some trouble there nothing major but when the springs would compress it was catching the lines.
Thanks.. I'll keep an eye out. I'm planning on useing all the lines form the 04 so hopefully wont have that issue...

roachedone

Donator
Alittle more progress today. 04 is now fully striped... everything is just laying inside it untill we bring the other car over hopfully next week.. we cut the radiator suport and framefalis in the front and pulled the motor and crossmember as one.. you'd be ammazed how light the car is with out it. car is now a 4 lug... kinda looks funny....

Picture001.jpg
Picture003.jpg
04nomotor.jpg
044lug.jpg

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Someone is going to see your donor car and think you're building a redneck race car...great progress

myers407

Staff member
Wow you can see the difference in the rear end width there! Keep at it, I have done two now and yoll be amazed at how fast they go together.

myers407

Staff member
I do see one piece that you will need left on the car. If your doing the full swap you will need the piece of the firewall that the steering shaft goes through. It has a bearing in it that supports the shaft. Check one of my threads or 88verts thred and you will see this piece.. Good luck

roachedone

Donator
yea we're still debating the dash swap... but for the time being untill the 86 is done, the 04 will sit along side my garage for both storage, and other parts we may still need... Hopefully we will be bringing the 86 over and starting deconstruction on that one next weekend... also still need to cut the trunck floor out of the 04 as someone in the past had cut the floor out of the 86 for a fuel cell..

myers407

Staff member
Just know that if you are going to run the powersteering rack from the 04 with the 86 dash you will have to fab a joint as the steering shafts are diffrent. Not to hard but some thing to be aware of, it gets tight with the engine in place.

4eyedcoupe

Donator
We made a little progress today. We got the k-member in place and car is rolling again. We are going to run into issues with the tires rubbing on the front bumper when turning...something we will have to figure out how to deal with. Jay's rag-joint will work!!!
101_0731.jpg
101_0729.jpg
101_0733.jpg
101_0734.jpg

roachedone

Donator
modified ragjoint1.jpgmodified ragjoint2.jpgsn95 rack to fox column.jpgcompare.jpghatch.jpgrtfront.jpgmodified ragjoint1.jpgmodified ragjoint2.jpgrtfront.jpghatch.jpg Yes it will!!!!! and we did end up trimming the kmemeber... i didnt take any pics of it but think joe did.. maybe he will post them up.. we also found out today that the springs Joe picked up were cut by previous owner.... made it easy to get them in... but we wont know how low its gonna sit till the motor is in.... wheels definatly rub on a hard turn... we used 95 control arms with a fox tubular kmember on our 93 and they dont rub, but the tires are alot more narrow on that car then this one...

Bill

Staff member
Donator
That is awesome progress, and congrats on the rag joint. You need to write up a how you did that tech and post it. And, if you are interested in selling me the firewall section that has the shaft bearing, open up a conversation and we'll talk.

roachedone

Donator
we will let you know Bill... dont want to sell off to many usefull parts till we know where we stand with the 86 dash

myers407

Staff member
Looking good so far. I got lucky on mine and did not have any rubbing problems. Waiting to see what happens on the first drive tho.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
how did you get the steering shaft to fit with the newer k member. mine comes about an inch to short. INFO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!