• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

88 gt...03/04 cobra swap

Hey guys my name is Harry Montgomery and I have a 88 gt that I am about to swap a 03/04 motor into. I also have a 96 cobra parts car that I am going to be installing the cobra brakes as well as the cobra rearend...I am at a cross road before I start. My buddy has a wrecked 03 cobra low miles that I can get the dash, console, door panels and that kind of stuff. He said if I pulled the dash I could have it and the harness behind. I am already getting the 03 computer as well as the engine harness and cluster. Is that all the wiring I would need just the engine harness and the dash harness or will I need the body harness as well to complete the swap. As of now I'm going to pick up a 3650 tranny because the t45s I have laying around from other 96-98 cobras will not work with the newer cluster. Trying to get my ducks in a row before I get deep into the project. I am in the middle of building the motor I have a 98 cobra teksid block with Kellogg crank and the svt manley h beams all arp hardware....still tracking down all the swap parts have a big list but still need more...here is what I have so far....(03 dual fuel pump setup, blower, metco 4lb lower, engine pulley set up, heat exchanger and lines with intercooler pump, 03 39lb injectors, fuel rail, mass air meter with sensor for 39lb, intercooler tank and within the next few days have the ecu, engine harness, and dash harness) Long process but will upload pictures as I progress in the build...any tips would help greatly

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Hi Harry. Welcome to the site. Dig in and make yourself at home. My advice for you is that if you're going to do the dash and door panel swap, get all the associated wires that attach. Basically get everything you can. Having it all from the same donor makes the job a bit easier. I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures.

Thanks bill...long process but I have a 99 cobra t0 drive and a 85 gt so at least I can still enjoy my mustangs while this one is down for the count....ill upload pics as I progress and thanks for all the support. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions as I'm new to modular swapping foxbody's.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I have a 99 Cobra parts car sitting at my in-laws place. I bet you love that ride.

Yes I do....has 03 cobra front and back bumper and 03 terminator parchment seats but other than that mostly stock...a lot of fun to drive for sure.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I almost hate to part mine out, as it is a Double X Cobra, meaning it was a factory demo model that really did put out 320 wrhp (which is why Ford got sued over the ones the delivered that year). It is also a four time looser. The third time it was wrecked, the assholes didn't fix it properly. So, the next time it was wrecked it bent the frame at the firewall. It still moved under its own power when I bought it at a salvage auction.

man shame to part it out but at least it can go to use for other people or for your own cars.....I was the same way with my 98 cobra parts car 80,000 miles and totally rust free but the previous owner blew the brand new motor and pushed outback of his house. When his buddy wrecked his 98 gt they took the drivers fender door and rear quarter off to fix the gt ughhhhhhh and left it to sit...I came along got the car complete minus the drivers side parts and a spare 96-98 cobra motor for 800 bucks lol

well just scored up a low mile totaled 03 cobra so now will have the rest of my parts I need all the wiring, the interior parts as well as the seats ....time to get this thing started...got the ol 302 pulled this past weekend just need to get the wiring pulled now and the fox will be ready for some work

419forest

You can get all of the wiring from Midway Mustang. Go to Facebook or Instagram for contact info.

modulistic

if youre doing the dash, youre doing the steering wheel too. unless you are a splicing genius. if youre doing the steering wheel, you will need to figure out the bearing that penetrates the firewall.

grab a drill and start drilling out that firewall plate that has the bearing. might as well grab the brake booster too, the fox one wont clear, I dont think.

Yes I will be doing the dash as well as the cobra steering wheel since it will have the cobra airbag....I will also be converting to the hydroboost brake set up and cobra calipers

Just picked up a team z mod swap fox chromoly k member and just picked up my fresh teksid from the machine shop...running Kellogg crank, manley h beam rods, manley mmr forged pistons, 03 heads with comp cams stage 1 blower cams, and a stegmeyer stage 7 gt500 blower on top to finish it off

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Sounds like you have a good setup. The bearing for steering shaft is actually pretty easy. Take the entire plate from a donor car by drilling the spot welds. You'll have to notch the lower left (driver's side) corner of the plate to fit around the frame rail. There are a couple of pictures on here that are nicely done. Using the complete plate gives you lots of meat to mount with and makes the bearing wall nice and stiff. Whether you weld it in, screw it in, or rivet it, don't forget to put some good body sealer on the seams. That section takes a beating from water.

thank you for the info sounds great!!!!......have been busy so havnt got to do as much as I would like to it but I did get the 302 taken out and the t5....for now I picked up a tremec 3650 tranny to get me started and until I can afford a t56 swap