• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

88 gt first swap

I'm starting my first swap, i have a 98 cobra donor car that will be here this weekend. I want to retain my factory fox interior and gauges, any help, photos or diagrams on how to do this would be much appreciated. I have done motor swaps on s10's for years but this is my first mod motor swap in a ford. I'm looking forward to the challenge. Once again any insite you guys can offer would be much appreciated. i actually have 2 builds going at once the other is a 2000 gt terminator swap for a buddy.

My 88 gt is a factory 5 speed car i picked up as a roller. The donor car is a 98 cobra 4.6 dohc w/5speed that got slide into a pole on the passenger side. what parts will i need to pull off of the cobra?88 gt.jpg

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
Nice looking stang.. Make sure to keep everything.. That way you will not have any issues... There are post here with all those information. Someone will post shortly..

whiteponygt

Depends on your intentions if you doing interior swap and motor swap you need to save everything.If your doing just the motor swap you need to save..... well everything keep the donor car as long as you can soon as its gone you will need something off of it. I will tell you from my experience ive been piecing mine together part here part there and its been a pain.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Welcome to the party. It sounds like the swap you plan is pretty straight forward. You'll use the k-member off the Cobra. The rear holes need to be slightly modified, but easily done. You'll use the engine harness and computer of the Cobra as well. There are some wiring diagrams/tips posted on here that will help you wire it to the existing dash. You'll have to install the hydro-boost brake setup, as there isn't room for the Fox power booster. It isn't hard to do, and you'll see lots of pics here. Are you using the Cobra rear end or the Fox? You have all the parts to do the five lug conversion if you like, but there nothing says you need/have to. The engine harness will lay into the Fox right where the old one comes out. I say get started and have fun with it. If you can do the S10 swap, you can do this one no problems.

thanks for the info bill, my fox already has the five lug conversion with a built 8.8 rear end. I am going to switch the gears out in it since it was set up for the track before i got it and has 4.56's in it

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I actually thought about running that gear set in my car, its not gonna be a DD more of a cruiser a couple times a month. If you was able to get ahold of a T-56 I would run that gear set up, but for more of a driver plan on running a set of 3.73 or 3.90's.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
that's the set I will probably run also, I still need to get a lot of stuff done to mine to finish it up. Maybe I can get it tucked away and done by summer.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I wish I would have had the cash to do a terminator swap on my coupe but it is what it is lol. Post up some pics we are here to help not to complain and fuss about what we know or think we know lol.

Me too, the terminator is my buddies car that someone else started that I have to finish, I inherited a mess and just have to dig in and get it done

Bill

Staff member
Donator
3.73 is what we always recommended for our customers. My last conversion is actually running 2.73s at the moment. I don't like them, but the current owner does.