• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

94 get steering rack in foxbody

Derek2626

Swapping 94 gt steering shaft and rack into foxbody that has a tubular k member, also gonna use 94 spindles. Will there be any issues with this? Thanks for the help...

FuturaGuy

Staff member
If you use the Fox body suspension arms, the tie rods from the '94 steering are too long. Use tie rods for an '82-93 Mustang. They are the right length and diameter. Tie rods for a '78-'81 Fox are smaller in diameter by .040 inches and won't fit tight on the rubber boots with the '94 steering rack.

fstfrd

Donator
Can't you just cut the tie rods down a bit to the fox length ? Instead of going through the pain of replacing them with Taurus rods, if you can find them.

fstfrd

Donator
Ok, I miss understood ! I have read several threads stating that it's best to use rods from a Taurus ....so that's why I assumed the fox rods wouldn't work. Thanks for the info, & I'm going to do the swap to the fox rods ASAP

FuturaGuy

Staff member
Here's what happens when you use an SN-95 steering rack and tie rods and don't use the suspension lower arms to go with it. The car pictured isn't a Fox, but a '68 Mustang belonging to my co-worker Jay, screen name "AutoMongoose". It's got a Modular V-10, Mustang II front suspension and an SN-95 power steering rack to go with the Hydroboost brakes. He has since replaced the tie rods with '82-'93 Fox tie rods and tie rod ends, and now the wheels line up.

Notice that he's holding the tie rod up with his middle finger. Is he giving us a subliminal message? Just kidding.

Attachments

• P3230636.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:

takdashark

Donator
I'm not sure on the 94-95 racks, but 96-04 you have to use a Maximum Motorsports steering shaft, or order the parts individually from Borgeson. The rack end is a triangle on the SN rack vs splines on the fox body. I already a a flaming river steering shaft so I contacted Borgeson and I can just buy the lower end. Here's the part number for the lower u joint that fits the SN rack

Borgeson part #014955 Universal Joint

takdashark

Donator
I just got a 03 Cobra rack and bought that Borgeson lower joint for my steering shaft and it works perfect. So if u have a solid steering shaft it's pretty easy to do. Part was $80