• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

99 GT donor car into a 91 LX

trkflw306

I am about to start a project that I'v planned on doing for a while. I have a 91 LX without an engine, trans, fuel system, rear end. I just bought a 99 donor car and everything I need is in great condition. My biggest concern right now is the wiring. I am torn between a few different options.
Option 1: Fit the dash from the 99 into the 91. This would solve a lot of wiring issues although i'm sure there are a ton of other potential issues. Can anyone point some things out other than cutting it back a few inches?
Option 2: Splice the harness into the 91 dash. I have seen some schematics posted on this forum, but i can't look at them because I have under 10 posts.
Option 3: Buy a stand alone harness. This seems like the best way to go. I want to buy it but i cant justify it knowing that I have everything I need right next to me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Welcome to the party. You'll find pretty much all the answer you need here. Yes, (almost) everyone uses the hydroboost. You'll find lots of picks on how to do it, just dig in and make yourself at home.

whiteponygt

Imo option 1 or 2 is the best way,the stand alone harness are the easy way out trust me after digging into the wiring you will know all there is to know about your Fox and donor car.and once you meet your post count like bull said ask your question will be answered.

modulistic

im finishing up pretty much exactly what you are describing. Im very capable with wiring, my day job has to do with electronics, but I didnt want to do any splicing. I elected to do the entire interior swap with entire donor harness, and it worked out great. once I ironed out a few ground issues it fired right up. MUCH LESS HEADACHE. its basically trading sweat for headache. you will have to cut/enlarge a few holes in the firewall to get the new harness in. grab EVERY piece of electronics you find along the way and bring them over. dont forget the fuel pump control module that will be found tucked on the drivers side trunk area. fuel lines and fuel tank are no big deal, they swap right over. Fuel tank swaps over. Im working on the interior now. its is NOT as simple as trimming the dash. you will have to fit the console first, then adjust the dash frame to suck the dash in to where you want it to meet up with the console. I havent cut the dash yet, but im fully expecting to ruin it on my first attempt. there is also dashboard frame mounts that go onto the fox tunnel that will have to come over from the donor car. they will have to be welded or riveted. I wouldnt drill any more holes than necessary in the fox to avoid cracking, so Im going to weld. the main hangup I had was the transmission crossmember. the brackets need to be cut/drilled out of the donor car and moved over/welded to the fox. its not hard, just a pain in the ass. the spot welds never end. the exhaust all bolts up nicely. bring the control arms over from the new car, they fit fine.

the swaybar mounts will have to be removed from the fox if you intend to use the hydroboost. look for the thread with the firewall plate for the hydroboost. It was really straightforward and simple, just a PAIN IN THE ASS removing both firewall plates. the existing gas pedal bolts will line the plate up, then drill holes until the hydroboost slides in. bring the brake pedal assembly over from the donor car - bolts right in. looks really clean. The brake lines will run where the current swaybar mounts are, and im not sure you can even get the 4.6 in from underneath if the swaybar mounts are still in place. do yourself a favor, and spend 2 hours now drilling them out now. try not to drill all the way into the subframe, you wont want holes there. other than that, the brakes just fit right together like legos. the parking brake cables are totally different, you will need them and the little bracket that is spot welded to the underside of the donor cars tunnel if you want parking brakes to work with the new rear end. you will have to weld/bolt in the radiator support brackets - no biggie.

All in all, its not difficult, just a lot of work.

modulistic

I guess they dont HAVE to be removed, its just that the brake lines for the donor car run right by the frame rail in those spots. you could leave them in, but there will be a lot of brake line tubing bending in your future. just take a look at both cars and you will see what I mean. Also, I dropped the car on top of the motor when I swapped, and the swaybar tabs would have probably made life difficult. Dont know for sure.

also, if you plan on keeping the donor car front swaybar setup, Im not even sure the factory fox mounts will even work.

modulistic

ah, sorry, you arent the original poster. I think some guys get the hydroboost in, and run custom brake lines. I kept the stock ABS crap which ran the lines right in the same spot the fox mount tabs are located.

FNG

Donator
I wanted the hydroboost, going with manual brake kit from maximum motor sports and flaming river manual rack and pinion. No power loss for me.

Jjnjd03

Im about to start mine. 98 gt donar to 93 vert. Cant wait to get going on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk