• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Beginning 4.6 swap into 88 convertible soon

Chaos885.oh2mod

88 Mustang LX convertible 5.0
I will be beginning the process of swapping a 4.6 into my 88 convertible. I plan to not get into a hurry and look for good deals to keep cost down, and I drive my truck to work and school. I would prefer a 4.6 dohc but a 3v would work for me if it was a good deal. I would like to run long tubes but mid lengths would be cool. I may use a 4r70w automatic, and I was wondering if that will give me any trouble with long tubes or mid length headers? Also I was curious if a flaming river steering shaft will be definitely necessary with all long tube or mid length headers? If it makes any difference I will be keeping my 88 dash. I am trying to create a list of parts I will definitely need when I go to swap meets and check craigslist. Thanks for any information you can give.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Welcome to the forum. WE look forward to seeing you project develop

cpearson1342

I'm just finishing up my 2003 mach 1 swap into my 86 GT and there's a lot of little things that are probably going to cost a bit, even just bolts for mounting the fuse box and coolant overflow. If you get a whole running car that was totaled it will be so much easier just for the fact that you have almost everything and know where it goes. I'm keeping my stock dash with mach gauges and if you're good with wiring you can use the wiring harness that comes with the engine and take out what you don't need. I got some ford connectors to make the harness look stock, it will take a while and some splicing, but it's worth it to make it look good. With the stock exhaust manifolds, the steering shaft cleared fine, just the bolt that got in the way but couldn't tell you about any other setups. If you need any help, let me know and I can most likely help since I just went through it.

Chaos885.oh2mod

88 Mustang LX convertible 5.0
I have been considering buying a mark VIII as a donor, occasionally there are ones around here that are a good deal. I think I am pretty good with wiring. If I find a reasonable mustang donor I will jump on it but most of the wrecks on craigslist are v6's. I want to make it look like the motor belongs there. I've seen many very nice swaps on this site, it is very motivating. Thanks for your info.

cpearson1342

I know what you mean, the way I found mine was pretty much just out of coincidence where someone had already put it into a crappy purple 96. Only had 60,000 miles and I got everything I needed plus a 5 lug swap and interior so it worked out nicely.

whiteponygt

Look on corral there is a guy that is doing a ls swap and is selling everything from his cobra motor trans and wiring.