• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

California Smog Legal MarkVIII swap

sacabuche

Hi guys, currently have a 91 coupe, tried searching for any information, but I've been having trouble trying to find any differences between the mark viii configuration and a cobra. Since I want to run a manual transmission, I think I'm stuck with registering it as a cobra motor. My question is, what smog devices would be needed to pass inspection? I know there is the evap system, and obviously cats, and egr. but would I need to change the exhaust manifolds? Is there an air pump? what else am I missing?

Thanks,
Danny

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
Hi guys, currently have a 91 coupe, tried searching for any information, but I've been having trouble trying to find any differences between the mark viii configuration and a cobra. Since I want to run a manual transmission, I think I'm stuck with registering it as a cobra motor. My question is, what smog devices would be needed to pass inspection? I know there is the evap system, and obviously cats, and egr. but would I need to change the exhaust manifolds? Is there an air pump? what else am I missing?

Thanks,
Danny
there is a member here that might chime in. I believe he went to the CARB and asked what he needed and got the car to smog.. Let me see if I can find his thread..

http://modularfoxmustangs.com/community/threads/new-guy-in-san-diego.446/

Last edited:

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Hi Danny, welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home. Start a build thread and document your journey. That way, the next guy wanting to do a similar swap can look at what you learned.