• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Driveshaft info?

ssowell

A little info before I begin:
88 fox, 01gt motor and t45 trans. 8.8 rear end, UPR tubular k member with Poly mounts

I'm interested in seeing what options I have for a driveshaft. I don't currently have a driveshaft at all and was wondering if I can get a stock gt driveshaft, get it balanced, and throw it in.

I have researched a little but was told it all depends on the k member. Has anybody else used this setup? What did you do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Svt Fox

Staff member
A little info before I begin:
88 fox, 01gt motor and t45 trans. 8.8 rear end, UPR tubular k member with Poly mounts

I'm interested in seeing what options I have for a driveshaft. I don't currently have a driveshaft at all and was wondering if I can get a stock gt driveshaft, get it balanced, and throw it in.

I have researched a little but was told it all depends on the k member. Has anybody else used this setup? What did you do?

89 fox
4V/UPR K Member
T-45
Shortened and Balanced Aluminum FRPP driveshaft.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Im running a 3650 with a 3650 driveshaft factory K-member just notched out, cant remember but I think I tried a T45 shaft in my tranny and it would not fit.

ssowell

Thank you guys. I found an aluminum DS off craigslist that I'm gonna get shortened.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I think I paid $75 the last time. Call around if there are options in your area.

keeton

So does the driveshaft always have to be shortened? I feel like I haven't heard a straight answer on that...

Bill

Staff member
Donator
No. I haven't had to shorten a drive shaft for a modular conversion. In fact, my current project's drive shaft is within 3/16" the same length as the skinny fox shaft I took out. What combination are you using that has you shortening the drive shaft?

keeton

No. I haven't had to shorten a drive shaft for a modular conversion. In fact, my current project's drive shaft is within 3/16" the same length as the skinny fox shaft I took out. What combination are you using that has you shortening the drive shaft?
I didn't think I'd have to shorten mine. I'm using a 4v with a T45. I should be able to use one out of any 4.6 Mustang with a T45 I'd think. Right?

Just figured this would be a good place to ask since there was a lot of talk about shortening. I know if you went from a 3650 to a T45 or vice versa it would be the wrong length, but the yoke won't work either.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
There are a couple of guys here with the T56 that might be able to tell you. You are correct that the 3650 and T45 use the same shaft.