• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

fox swap headers

gambling209

i have the chance to get a set of 03-04 cobra headers. they are bbk. anybody ever ran a set in a fox? going on my 03 aviator motor.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I have no personal experience with the long tubes for the fox swap. I can tell you that on an 03 Cobra, if you have to change the clutch and you have long tubes, that motor will be coming out. Is it a good enough deal to make it worth while?

gambling209

going to run an auto. so no problem there. figure that the auto might cause some problem. $250 for the coated headers and x pipe. so i'll say yea, its a good deal.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
It is a good deal. The biggest issue with the auto and long tubes (did this on my first one) is the heat from the headers causing the tranny to overheat. There is a discussion on here about how to fix that.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I don't remember, but it was one that I posted in. It was a discussion of overheating transmissions. The bottom line is that you will have to shield your tranny and cooler lines from the heat. The easiest way to do this is with heat wrap, but you can also build heat shields. The headers being coated should solve the heat problem up next to the torque converter, but the collector connection back to the tranny output shaft will need some attention. Depending on how you run your lines, they will need to be shielded as well. The mod motors put out about the same heat as the pushrod motors, but there is less free air space to dissipate the heat of the exhaust. Unfortunately, the automatic transmission adds to this heat and is much more sensitive to excess heat that the manual. I did one where I ran the lines to the outside of the subframe and up to the front.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Good call. You can make them work. It may change your plans on a couple of little details, but if they are as nice as they sound, it is a good investment.

gambling209

i also found out that bbk headers from 96-04 are all the same. only diff is where the egr are located. now on to the next thing. fuel. how to make something work on the cheap.