• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hello Everyone! I am thinking its time!

8993Mustang

Hello everyone, my name is Wes.

I found this forum when looking for a place that specialized in modular motors in foxes. So thanks for allowing me to join. With that said let me share my life story and what my goals are here. Maybe you guys can help me. Sorry for long post but my love for cars and Mustangs get me fired up.

I have two Mustangs 1. And my first a 1989 GT Vert. 2. And my 2nd Mustang which is a 93 Notch 4 banger.

My 1st mustang the 89. I built in like 8months. It started life as a 5-speed 160k stock 5.0 vert. I turn it into a turbocharged 306, built auto with full tubular suspension and all new carpet and full weather stripping replace and installed 2002 seats front and back. I built it myself and it was fun. Only got to run it at the track couple times before being asked to leave. I didn't have roll bar. Then I lost bottom end when a oil pump locked up. Well during the down time I was given a 01 Corvette Vert with Z51 suspension package and intake, cat back and tune as a work bonus. This car is fun and handles well. So since I now had two verts and two fun street cars. I decided it was time to make a more track car. So here came mustang #2. The 93 Notch. I bought it very cheap. Figures its lighter and better for drag. So I started moving all the stuff from my vert over. I traded my fully built AOD for a fully built C4 I bought a new 347 Stroker and MegaSquirt for ecu. So new setup will be bad ass easily 600-650whp. Going for 9's.

The idea was to sell the Vert as a roller when I was done. Well after having the Vette for a while and staring at my Fox Vert for a while. I began thinking. I bet I could sell the vette build the Fox Vert as a fun street car and still have good chunk of change in my pocket. I have been offered 21k for my vette. The bonus in the fox of having 4 seats for family is great to.

So I am thinking full suspension and IRS swap. I was also thinking I would need 400whp NA I don't want FI for a fun street cart. Well a 302 needs to be pretty radical to make that power. So wouldn't be much fun down low and in street. A 351 based motor would be pretty heavy. So I was thinking maybe an aluminum modular setup? I think I can hit 400hp/400tq to the wheels NA? And would be pretty light compared to SBF right?

So what setup you suggest motor and manual Trans wise that would be around 6k? Needs to be fun on street and take some abuse.

Sorry for novel. Thanks for your help!

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Welcome aboard. If I had the cash on hand and really wanted to do the modular swap, I know you said NA but to get the HP your looking and probably a lot more power, I would suggest a terminator swap. Fairly easy swap if you can find a wrecked donor car. You can pick up ,a complete wrecked car within your budget you explained. A terminator fox will be right on the HP range you are looking for. If I had the cash at the time I did my car this is the route I would have taken.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Hi Wes. Welcome to the party. If you're willing to build the motor, here is one that will fit the bill and leave you with plenty of coin left over:
http://www.modularfoxmustangs.com/community/threads/teksid-2v-tech-article-must-read.821/
Put a Cobra IRS and your five or six speed of choice in it. Call Brian over at Stifflers to get the parts necessary to stiffen up the vert chassis. Call AJE (site sponsor) for a front end and your almost there. Another options is to pick up a 99/01 Cobra convertible and do a complete swap over. That gives you the aluminum NA engine, tranny, IRS, wiring and interior all in one package. With some cams and ignition work, a tune, and a few bolt-ons you'll be knocking on 400.

8993Mustang

Hi Wes. Welcome to the party. If you're willing to build the motor, here is one that will fit the bill and leave you with plenty of coin left over:
http://www.modularfoxmustangs.com/community/threads/teksid-2v-tech-article-must-read.821/
Put a Cobra IRS and your five or six speed of choice in it. Call Brian over at Stifflers to get the parts necessary to stiffen up the vert chassis. Call AJE (site sponsor) for a front end and your almost there. Another options is to pick up a 99/01 Cobra convertible and do a complete swap over. That gives you the aluminum NA engine, tranny, IRS, wiring and interior all in one package. With some cams and ignition work, a tune, and a few bolt-ons you'll be knocking on 400.
Thanks Bill!! I have been reading a lot on here. Nice site. I like your ideas. I will check them out. Never built a mod Motor but I have built many others and even foreign DOHC motors. So I am sure with enough google I could get it done.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I agree. If you have the basic skills necessary to build a motor, you can do a modular Ford motor. There are several books available that will take you step by step through the timing components, which is the primary complication.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
SMH aka Sean Hyland Motorsports has a real good book on building modular engines. I have it and think its great. Lots of pictures and literature.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
SMH aka Sean Hyland Motorsports has a real good book on building modular engines. I have it and think its great. Lots of pictures and literature.
He's right. It is pretty much the best book out there.

8993Mustang

Thanks everyone. My next research mission is to see if I can make my Vert Fox as fun as my 01 Vette Vert I will sell to keep both my foxes

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk