• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Modfox gas neck question.

Wreckedj30

Hello everybody, I'm in process of putting a new edge gas tank in my fox, I was wondering if anyone had pictures of how they shortened the neck, and if you just modified the fox black plastic box or integrated the new edge plastic box(what mounts to the body, and hangs the gas door). Thanks for any replies and input.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Subbing for this one. Might need Duel fuel pumps soon

Are you running the stock fox tank right now? If you are, you don't need to run a new edge gas tank to run multiple pumps.

In all honesty, I have no idea what the advantage is in swapping the new edge tank. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Wreckedj30

No i'm doing the complete new edge swap, return less fuel system, 99+ cobra motor, t3650. etc. (I have a brand new fox tank, fuel sender assembly and bbk 155 fuel pump if anyone's interested.) Pretty much just going to the new style tank to later support an eaton swap(double or triple pump), but also to keep the car a legit as possible, I live in California, and am trying to get it to the state ref. In my opinion the benefit is cooler fuel, less gas vapor and less emission, also a cleaner engine bay without the fpr and return fuel line. Not to mention my car has an '01 computer and its already setup. No need to add extra relays or more wiring just connect and go.

Wreckedj30

Come on I know somebody has the link, it had pics of lengthening the passenger tank strap and shortening the neck itself also they had built a little bracket for the funky looking charcoal canister for the driver side under the quarter panel. I've searched the last two days and haven't found anything close, I believe it was on a 93cobra to terminator swap, But not 100% any help would be greatly appreciated.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I seen a fox body with a termi swap on another site is was a real good write up it but i myself cant find it. The car was a coupe with full motor swap and interior and then the guy painted the worst color combo i have ever seen it was Mystic with a big ugly gold checked flag on the front the car was fugly but the write up on it was freaking awesome lots of detail. But like i said i cant find it anymore. Sorry lol

Speedtospare

I had the same one as above but i can't find it either. Its been a few years since i looked at it. I went return so I can't help you there.

Are you running the stock fox tank right now? If you are, you don't need to run a new edge gas tank to run multiple pumps.

In all honesty, I have no idea what the advantage is in swapping the new edge tank. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

You cannot run twin in tank pumps as far as i know. My last car had an Aeromotive A1000 and it was too loud. I want quiet in tank pumps.

Wreckedj30

Alright its been a long week but here are some pix of shortening the neck, and making it fit. First pix is the stock length of the neck, way to tall a tad to long.
gavin iphone upload 2.24.2013 461.JPG

This was my first cut, just a straight slice to determine how mush height i had to remove. On my car 89 convertible it was nearly three inches, close to 2 3/4 but i figure after grinding to where the connection was flawless nearly 3 is a closer measurement.
gavin iphone upload 2.24.2013 474.JPG
For the first alignment i drilled the stock fox gas neck holes into the modified neck. Just to see where the angle of the gas station filler nozzle would be, straight or cocked to one side or another. (Didn't want it interfering with the gas door) I'll get back to this area later.
gavin iphone upload 2.24.2013 475.JPGgavin iphone upload 2.24.2013 479.JPG
Here is a rough sketch of what i did, the clockwise arrows just mean I rotated the gas neck for better alignment to the tank also better gas station fillups, the red dots are the new holes I drilled into the OE plastic gas housing.
gavin iphone upload 2.24.2013 4700.jpg
Next up was the actual width, or depth the neck sits into the car, I again did a simple slice about 1/4 inch away from the bump that retains the neck into the tank. And measured while the tank and upper neck was in, on my car I removed 1 1/8" plus some grinding for fitment so closer to an 1 1/4". The first picture shows the bump and retaining ring also the amount i had to cut off. The second is the size difference in the pieces of metal needed to be removed, Height in green Width in blue. The third picture is the neck and pieces of metal removed, yellow arrow just points out the bump after the retaining ring.
002.JPG003.JPG001.JPG

I quadruple clamped to get exact alignment welded on both pipes and walla I don't have a picture but literally. Here is the final product before grinding and probably a finish weld.
gavin iphone upload 2.24.2013 478.JPG

Attachments

• gavin iphone upload 2.24.2013 474.JPG
    gavin iphone upload 2.24.2013 474.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 121

88Foxbody

The guys write up was on bravohost I've have tried to look at it several times but its gone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

88Foxbody

I had it saved under my favorites on my desktop because I'm in process of the same build. It was the best write up I have seen yet and have been researching for 2 years. I only wish I would have printed it:(
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If you're talking about a red 88 coupe that got a complete 03 terminator swap and an ugly gold(ish) paint job at the end, I have it on my hard drive. It is 12.5mb, with lots of pics. I couldn't find it on the net anywhere.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Do you have an email that will accept files that size? It is 167 detailed pages with pictures. The author emailed it to me back when I owned Atlantic Coast Mustang. You are welcome to chop it up and repost it. His server has been down for a couple of years, and I don't have his new address.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
You're welcome. It might make a good sticky thread somewhere.