• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need help with info on fuel system

hydro

I have an 89 lx 4cyl coupe that i plan on doing a 4.6 3v swap in got a 07 GT donor car it has returnless fuel how do i use it on my stock gas tank have to get an after maker returnless fuel pump and just run one line or what if anybody has done it or know what i have to do would be a great help

FuturaGuy

Staff member
If the '07 is like the '99-'04's with no return line, the voltage to the pump is variable depending on load, throttle opening, etc., and only supplies the required amount of fuel to the engine. Assuming you use the '07 PCU and wiring, the existing pump should be O.K. without a return line. The '98's and earlier sent constant voltage to the pump so the fuel flow was constant and extra fuel, depending on conditions, was sent back to the tank.

Maybe someone with more experience than I have in this area will chime in and help you out.

Speedtospare

I have an 89 lx 4cyl coupe that i plan on doing a 4.6 3v swap in got a 07 GT donor car it has returnless fuel how do i use it on my stock gas tank have to get an after maker return less fuel pump and just run one line or what if anybody has done it or know what i have to do would be a great help

The tank and pump become an issue. You may be able to use a 03-04 cobra stock fuel tank and pump if you can adapt the lines. You would need to install the PCM, fuel rails, fuel pump driver module, and rail regulator, to control the motor's via voltage.

IMO; Easier to just install a 190+ lph pump, fuel line adapter, and regulator. Fox lines are already return

Walt460

Get a 2001-2004 V8 fuel tank with the pump and sender, mount the 07's fuel pump in place of the o1-04 pump, watch the wiring to connect exactly as was in the 07. Then use the FPDM (Fuel Pump Driver Module) from the 07. The 07 PCM will provide all the signals (rail fuel pressure, throttle position, etc.) that the FPDM needs to provide the correct fuel pressure.

You will need to make a new fuel line from the tank to the front. Those 4cyl supply lines are just too small, use the same line size as used on your 07 donor car.

Walt460

If this is a street car, I would use the pump from the 2007, so the system would work as intended by the factory. If you are going to the expense of a fuel cell, you can get a custom solution intended for a 2007 Mustang made into a tank to fit your Fox.
You haven't said, but if the 07 engine is going to remain pretty much stock, cheapest solution would be to use the 01-04 tank as I noted above.