• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New guy..looking for 3V conversion info

Jack B

Hello,

I have been looking at numerous combos for my 86 hatch. I really like the price point on doing a 3V conversion with hot rod cams (or MMR turbo cam) and a small turbo. Looking at the Ford Racing 3V control pack but want to use an 4r70w. Couldn't find much info on this swap other than the LRS Fairmont. I hope to get started soon on the project.

thanks,
jack

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
Hello,

I have been looking at numerous combos for my 86 hatch. I really like the price point on doing a 3V conversion with hot rod cams (or MMR turbo cam) and a small turbo. Looking at the Ford Racing 3V control pack but want to use an 4r70w. Couldn't find much info on this swap other than the LRS Fairmont. I hope to get started soon on the project.

thanks,
jack
We have a member who did the 3V conversion maybe he will chime in soon.. And Welcome to MFM hope you enjoy your stay.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Welcome to the party. Its nice to have another four eyed fox

Jack B

Thanks Bill & ModFox. Classified as a four eyed but not really...I didn't mention my baby is a '86 SVO. My motor is shot and after pricing out a performance build, it's about the same price as a v8. I am on several of the SVO/2.3 turbo boards and the concensus is "Yes they are rare but not valuable". Either way, the stock exterior will remain intact and it will be turbo.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Why did you pick the 3V? Don't get me wrong, it is a nice build, but also tends to be significantly more expensive than a performance 2 valve build

Jack B

I started wanting the Coyote and still might be doing it after all. I was drawn to the 3V due to the base HP level, finding better deals on complete motors (compared to the cobra/mach1 4v) in recycler yards, and the FRPP stand alone harness/computer. I didn't really think about the 2V. Not to start anything but I had a '02GT (at that time there wasn't many HCI parts), had the typical bolt-ons, and was severely disappointed with the performance. So guess I am still biased on that. I have to do some more research on the 2V.

Last edited:

whiteponygt

the coyote swap in a fox is everyones dream but i agree with bill the 2v swap is easy to come by and cheaper,but a 4v swap on the bay right now you can pick up for no more then 3000 for a motor drop out and some even include transmission.Thats 6000 dollars cheaper then coyote swap

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The coyote is not the typical 3V being used for swaps right now. If that is the plan, and you have the budget, I say go for it. I haven't tried a Coyote motor swap yet. Maybe after I finish the current project. I see decent Cobras on ebay and Craig's list (96-01) routinely for around 6K, so even if you started with a healthy Cobra...

Jack B

Thanks for the replies. I found a complete 4.6 3v with the 4r70w for $4000, 52K out of an '07GT. Finding F150 5.0's for around $4000 complete, 04mach1 4v with 4r70w for about $4000 (80K on it). I am looking local (SE PA within 150miles) so I can just pick it up.

I need to find out what are the exhaust clearance issues with these motors in a foxbody. Typical to flip shorty headers on a pushrod engine to fab the hotside. Think I read that the 5.0 has issues. If so, I hope that was with a stock k-frame and a tubular will provide the space.