• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New to mod swaps. 86 gt + 5.4 sohc

Mike Thomas

Hello to all. I have built many mustangs with 5.0s, 5.8s and even a few 429 and 460s. I bought a 86 gt without a drivetrain. So today I go take a look at what was supposed to be a 5.0 out of a explorer. I get there and pull the cover off a 5.4 out of a 2001 expedition. So it got me thinking. I bought it for $160. It's very low milage with all accessories. The fabrication is no problem. Will hood clearance be a problem? Is this a decent platform to start with motor wise? I want the car mostly for street strip use. In the future some kind of power adder for sure after internal mods to the engine. Is there a good stand alone that works with this motor? Thanks in advance.

takdashark

Donator
I have an 86 with a 5.42v. The hood clearance will be an issue. You'll have to get adapter plates to run a mustang intake, or aftermarket.

Why do you want to run a stand alone? Just curious? I had a mega squirt, not the ideal stand alone of the pack I know. I ditched it in favor of a 03/04 cobra ecu ( found out a 99/04 GT would have worked just the same) and a tune. If your looking for drivability, get a stock ecu and have if tuned at Dyno. If your into tuning you can get a SCT racer package. I have all the characteristics of a modern day vehicle, and make 600 ft/lbs and 550hp at the wheels.

If you can find a donor car it'll help with all the little things.