• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Newbie in SoCal looking to do first DOHC swap

Hello everyone. I've had a 90 Mustang GT (hatch) sitting without an engine/trans for almost 5 years. I took the engine and trans and swapped it into a 68 Ranchero (modified the mustang harness, used the EEC, it turned out good).

I dont know why it took so long, but I finally figured out I want to swap a DOHC 4.6 into the Mustang. I want to get a donor vehicle so I have almost everything I will need for the swap on hand. (Ive done the wire harness thing before, so I'm not scared of doing it again.) I'm pretty sure I've narrowed down the donor vehicle to either a 97 or 98 Mark VIII with decent mileage. Also, and this is a big thing, I want to keep it CA smog legal!!!!

I would like to use as much of the donor vehicle as possible, and I don't want to have to get Cobra heads, intake, cams, etc. Ive read the 97 and 98 intake will physically fit better than earlier Mark VIII intakes, and they have COPs. Plus, for now I am sticking with the auto tranny, and I understand that 97 & 98 had some refinements that made them better. Other than that and the OBD2 capabilities, I think they are pretty similar?