• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

noob needs help with 86 stang svo efi swapped to carbed 302 v8

jaiidutch

please dont get upset with any miss use of engine lingo
ive worked on small motors before but car motors a new game for me.
(please dont hate me for the motor swap i didnt do it! lol)

so let me start off with whats going on with the car...

got car in a trade not fully done
1986 mustang svo
the motor and tranny were swapped out with a 5-speed carb 302 v8 that came out of a 71 comet.
motor and tranny installed
already has mechanical fuel pump
eletric fan(not connected yet)
motor truns over but wont fire because it needs a new distributor
needs H pipe for exhaust
wiring is all over....

ok so now that info is out there
my questions are..

how do i wire the svo's EFI turbo wiring harness to the carbed 302 v8?
ive been told all i have to do is run power to the altinator, starter, water pump....<

what type of distributor should i buy for this motor?
the last owner told me he had to change some lil black box inside the distributor<

last owner said he belives the coil pack may be dead and the distributor may be fine for can i tell he is giving me 2 of them so i would like to test em...?

i have no idea even wich directon to begin here.... i have gotten the oem wiring diagram for the 86 svo i am guessing im going to have to find the 71 comet wiring diagram too but what then?

any help, diagrams, info, pics ANYTHING will help like i said im new to working on car motors....

thank you in advance everyone!

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Your swap doesn't really represent what this forum is about, but I think you're in luck. You are welcome here, and can learn a great deal about your Foureyed Fox. I have done a similar swap, but had a great deal more experience with cars. First, take a deep breath and relax. Most of the SVO engine harness will not be useful to you. I put an old school V8 in an 85 and ended up bundling most of the harness put in the corner out of the way. On your SVO harness, find the wire/s that give power to the distributor. They will work fine to power your new one. I personally like the newer distributors that came on the 85/ish Mustang GTs. They are easy to wire and not expensive. They will work fine on your 302. Does your electric fan have its own thermostat? If so, wiring for it is also about grabbing the fan power off the existing harness. There are several people on here that are very skilled at auto electric. I am not one of them, but your application is not terribly complex. If you spend much time on this forum, we might convince you to do a mod-motor swap into that SVO. :)