• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Norfolk modular fox build

norfolknova

So I will go ahead and start my build thread even though the full on build will not be for a couple of more months.

I am kind of bored with my Nova so I decided I would build a Mustang. Originally I was thinking about putting a MArk VIII 4V into a V-6 SN95 and build a sleeper. Then I decided I like the Fox bodies better so that is the direction I am going.. So a couple of months ago I was perusing CraigsLlist and I found a 93 Mark VIII up in DC for $400. I figured why not , at $400 I will make my money back scrapping everything and selling the engine. So I have a total of about $550 into the car counting the fuel to go get it up in DC. I have already made back about $500 scrapping the body and selling various things from headlights to tail lights and mirrors.

Here are a couple of pics of the donar car and its deconstruction

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Welcome to here. That is a great start on a badass Fox body. I like the way you disposed of the shell. I have one I need to do that with.

Roadhawg

A lot of great deals can be found on craigslist. Some of those Mark parts can be sold on the TCCOA forums. The aluminum drive shaft, aluminum center section and the rear control arms especially. Good to see some one in the area is trying something different by doing a Mod Fox swap.

norfolknova

I still have the entire rear axle, and drive shaft. I have just been busy with work and a few other things to get around to trying to sell the rest of the stuff.
I retired from the Navy 6 1/2 years ago. Still work on the Carriers as a contractor, and I do vinyl graphics on the side so sometimes time is really short.
After the first of the year I should have the rest of the cash to continue with the project.

Matt

schiffy

I still have the entire rear axle, and drive shaft. I have just been busy with work and a few other things to get around to trying to sell the rest of the stuff.
I retired from the Navy 6 1/2 years ago. Still work on the Carriers as a contractor, and I do vinyl graphics on the side so sometimes time is really short.
After the first of the year I should have the rest of the cash to continue with the project.

Matt
And he helps me with my 4V swap, and wiring my buddies 2.3L turbo swapped beetle. lol

norfolknova

Yes the project took an extreem left turn.

It is a 66 F100. Needs new fenders and door repair. Got it down to Suffolk and pulled the bed liner out and the bed needs more work than originally anticipated. the frame is in good shape though. We will start pulling it apart after thanksgiving and see better what we are going to need. There is a junkyard about 2 miles from where we bought the truck that has our fenders we need.

here are some of the planned mods"
Crown Vic K-member, 4V Teksid Mark VIII engine, IRS (probably from Mark VIII ots of body work and fresh paint.

The owners father also had this behind the barn

The right side needs a new door, fender, and quarter repair. the left side only needs the quarter repair. No wheels on the car so I could not look underneath it. He said he is not interested in selling right now, but I think after we get done with the truck we will take it back up to let him see it and hit him up for the Mustang again

Matt

Roadhawg

Left turn indeed, great to see someone doing something different.
The sad part of the story is the old guy letting the Mustang become mulch. :(

norfolknova

He said it belonged o his brother and was parked there back in 1970 when his brother died, hence the sentimental value. I think once I can show him what we are doing with the truck he may let us buy it. It will be a crap shoot though because I can not get under it to check the underside. I will probably offer him twice scrap value and take a chance

Matt

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I hope you get to rescue that 67. It hurts to see one surrender to the elements.

norfolknova

I hit up pick n pull today for there Tool Kit member half off sale. I picked up the Crown Vic( Actually Grand Marquis) front cross member and suspension for the front, and a complete Mark VIII rear suspension for the back of the F100 build. Next up is to start getting the body off of the frame and get the IRS/IFS mounted.

We got luck with the grand Marquis and the engine was already out of it so dropping the K-member was relatively easy.

I also grabbed the aluminum drive shaft from the mark VIII, so now I have two of them.

MAtt

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If the frame on the F100 turns out to be as solid as you hope it is, the IRS and the k-member should be fairly easy fab-ups. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of mounting brackets you make for the IRS. I have access to a 69 Ranger that I might do something with next.

norfolknova

I found this article where Truckin magazine did the Mark VIII IRS install on an 67-72 F100. That frame is similar to the 61-66. They used a kit from Team321.com. I can not endorse or bash this company yet as I have not ordered their kit. I am going to order their kit only because I see no reason to reinvent the wheel on this. Using the kit seems to make it a pretty straight forward install and should only take a few hours. ( Which means for me most of a day. LOL)

Here is a link to the Truckin website IRS install article.
http://forums.truckinweb.com/70/8877806/ford/f100-irs-install/

Matt

schiffy

Definitely coming along. I gotta get a weekend without stuff going on and head out there and help you with some stuff. Ready to see this project get rolling fast. Just because I can only imagine how badass the finished product will be.

norfolknova

As it stands now Tim and I are going to try ot get out there next Saturday to start pulling the bed off and and maybe the front end

norfolknova

Schiffy helped with scoring a 3650 trans for the project.

I also went back out to pick n pull to grab some cheap wheels and tires to put under the truck se we can roll it around. Already looks better have tires under it that hold air.