• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

TermiFox 87 Mustang Build, 04 Cobra IRS and Wheel offset question

Ok, first post on this forum. I have had my 87 GT since i was 15 (my first car) and i have finally decided 18 years later to do a much needed overhaul. I purchased a wrecked 04 cobra coupe with a 2.8 Kenne Bell, UPR K member, coilovers, and a bunch or motor work (which i can post ab later).

I will be working on this project starting next month and want to order wheels when i switch over to 5 lug.

For those of you out there that have done the IRS swap on a fox, what are you running wheel and tire wise? Need to make sure they sit pretty flush and clear the 04 cobra brakes. The IRS i have has MM coilovers front and rear. I am also going to run the Cobra A arms, brakes, spindles up front.

I was thinking ab the Weld Forged RTS wheels. The rear 17x9 with a 48MM offset and then maybe a 17x8 front with a ?? offset. I have no clue what to run offset wise in the front or even wheel size wise? How ab tires? What would you recommend tire size wise? 275/40/17 reat and 245/45/17 front?

The car will be a car show, weekend, nice day driver...So i dont need a set up that is practical for everyday driving, just one that works.

Thanks in advance for any help! Ill be sure to post up some pics and start a build thread!

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Welcome to the party. On my last one, I ran 17x10.5 S197 Bullets on the back with a small spacer (3/8" I think, but I'm in a different state at the moment) and 17x9 in the front with an SN95 spacing. It made getting them easy. My current one has roller wheels on it (99 Cobra IRS). I like 295s in the back and 245 to 275 in the front for stock fenders. You don't have to roll the lips that way and shouldn't have rub issues with the MM coil overs. Does your donor have a wheel hop kit in the back? If not, MM and Steeda both have nice setups. A slightly better option is the http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/ kit. I'm looking forward to watching your build.

Welcome to the party. On my last one, I ran 17x10.5 S197 Bullets on the back with a small spacer (3/8" I think, but I'm in a different state at the moment) and 17x9 in the front with an SN95 spacing. It made getting them easy. My current one has roller wheels on it (99 Cobra IRS). I like 295s in the back and 245 to 275 in the front for stock fenders. You don't have to roll the lips that way and shouldn't have rub issues with the MM coil overs. Does your donor have a wheel hop kit in the back? If not, MM and Steeda both have nice setups. A slightly better option is the http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/ kit. I'm looking forward to watching your build.

Thanks! Been planning the build for a while now, cant wait to start it in Nov. So you are running a 10.5" rim in the back w/ a 295 and its not rubbing? What is the offset on that wheel? has to be 70MM or something crazy like that? Is that on an 99-04 IRS?
I figured a 245 on an 8" rim was the max in the front using the SN95 or 04 Cobra A arms...

So from what you are saying i should have more than enough room and clearance running the following?

Front: 17x8 w/ 36MM offset, 5.9in back spacing and a 245/45/17
Rear: 17x9 w/ 48MM offset, 6.9in back spacing and a 275/40/17

Not sure ab the wheel hop kit, but from what i read that along with replacing all the bushings is a must...

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I couldn't tell you off the top of my head about the offset. They were Wheel Replica Bullets for the S197 (used and cheap) that I had to put a small spacer under to center the tire in the well on an 01 IRS. I think the 275/245 combination for a nice street cruiser/weekend warrior is a really nice combination. I'm probably going to do FR500s on the current build (see my avatar). I have a 99 Cobra coupe donor and a bunch of stuff to make everything power for the 86 vert. My last one was an 85 Vert that I gave to my Father-in-law for Father's Day several years ago.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
And yes, you will have to do something about wheel hop. Every termi I've driven (I used to own Atlantic Coast Mustang, so I've driven a few Cobras) had a problem with it until it was fixed.

For what it's worth, I used an 03/04 IRS and a set of stock 03/04 wheels and had the hub on the wheel machined down 1/8- 3/16 of an inch with a 255 nitto tires and it's about as flush as you can get

No2ndgear

I have an 86 coupe with an 03 irs under it.
54f04468875682971579515fbf9a8b45.jpg
I ran a 275/40/17 under the rear with 05 wheels

I wanted to run a stock 03/04 cobra wheel for other reasons is why I chose the route I did, I did have 99-01 cobra wheels on and they fit pretty good, and would have fit better had I machined the hub that little bit and had the rear fenders rolled.

If I wasn't after a specific look a set of 05 and up wheels would be the perfect ticket!