• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The next project - Not a Ford

Speedtospare

New car was purchased last week. Car is a 1971 Datsun 240Z. Was saving for the paint on the modfox but came across the car and purchased it. I haven't decided what motors going in the car yet. I have it narrowed down to a 2JZ GTE (turbo straight six), RB25DET (turbo straight six), or LSx/L33 Based motor with a cam. Car weighs 2580 with 1/2 tank of fuel and no driver (light!!) The LS swap only add 40 lbs to the car. The above cars have kits for that include engine mounts, tranny mounts, drive shafts, and even wiring harnesses. I want everything to drop in and be ready ahead of time. The modfox was a pain with all the missing bolts and incorrect parts shipped to me. This is why a 4.6 4V motor wont be in the car. I would love a coyote motor in there but the cost is too much. I dont want a pushrod 302 in there. I am kinda leaning towards the RB25DETT or the LS. The Nissan motor ties in with the Datsun and with a turbo upgrade to a GT35 the power increases t about 360-380 WHP safely. Nissan motor is cheap. 1700 for one with motor, ecu, wiring harness, and tranny.

Here are the bests.

1185478_10151841813305470_510944495_n.jpg

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I think the turbo Nissan would be really cool. I always liked the 240Zs.

Svt Fox

Staff member
My choice would be an N/A 6.0 LSx. Simply put, you can make 450+ hp, with just a cam, long tubes, and intake.

Nice looking car btw!

Speedtospare

My choice would be an N/A 6.0 LSx. Simply put, you can make 450+ hp, with just a cam, long tubes, and intake.

Nice looking car btw!

Thanks! Motor has a new head and a bad bottom end. Guy put 10K into the car and then had the head rebuilt this summer. Dropped it on the motor and now the bottom end smokes. Got frustrated, sold it to me for 5K.

I agree the NA LS V8 is the way to go as long as its the all aluminum motors. LS1 engine and tranny only add 40 lbs. This car is going to have road race suspension so it needs to be kept light.

86GT2go

Personal opinion here (as I am a HUGE fan of the 'Z' cars myself) would be to keep it all-Nissan and use the RB25. Even though it is a heavier and longer motor than the LS, I am tired of seeing the LS stuck in everything (just like the 32 Fords with SBC power). Running the 2JZ (yes I have seen that done as well) would be the Japanese equivalent of putting a Chevy engine in a Ford chassis. If you wanted excellent power with killer weight distribution, do the SR20DET swap, or run a VG30/VQ35/VR38DETT swap. keep it Nissan.

I had a '77 Z I was messing with. Swapped on the later 300ZX 5-lug hubs and brakes, used the R200 diff with the truck LSD unit, and was building a hybrid 280/280ZX turbo motor for it. Ended up selling the car back to the guy I bought it from.

Speedtospare

There 2 local guys with the RB26 motor. Problem is you have to find the RB26, then you have to find a RB25 5 speed because the AWD tranny wont work. You also need an RB25 rear sump oil pan and up. Too much trouble imo. 2JZ, Lq9, LS2, LL33 or LS3 will be going in the car. Buddy has a complete LQ9 with harness and ecu if i want it for $1200 with 30,000 miles.

86GT2go

So why even mention the 'thought' of an RB when you have already ruled it out? Just go LS like everyone else and be done with it. The Chevrolet L-series engine is light, affordable, and thank to other peoples head designs being used in the development of the heads, powerful.

My suggestions were just subjective opinion, not to be taken seriously. There is a 71 Z down the street from me (ok, next town over) with a very nasty SR20DET Black-Top and that car HAULS/HANDLES. Painted in the Nissan Mint Tangerine with Black mesh CCWs, carbon vented hood, and NISMO graphics. Awesome car. Next to the Fox Mustang, the 'Z' series is my favorite car and I have strong feelings against butchery. (then again, I grew up hating Chevy-in-everything mentality. Every toothless hilljack had a SBC stuffed into whatever chassis they had laying around and it got real old real quick)

Speedtospare

Its a process of elimination. The V35 requires major modification to the front cross member which is why it was never on the list. The RB26 was eliminated for the reasons above.

I always take everyone opinions into consideration :) I agree I love my fox first but the Datsun 240z is a close second. None of my projects will ever be consider a botcher job no matter what goes under the hood.

86GT2go

The RB is a heavy pig, with quite a bit of cooling needs (she sheds/creates heat like no other!). I have seen a VG stuck into a Z-car and it was pretty fun with what he had to do to get it in there. I was contemplating the RB26/RB25 swap myself if I ever get a Z (moving back to Florida expands my chances of finding a good Z body). Do the 5-lug Turbo ZX brake upgrade, 4-wheel disc, G-nose, CCW wheels, carbon hood and rear diffusor.............ok, I need to stop before I sell my Mustangs and pick up an early Z!

86GT2go

Sadly I have to agree with you. While Coyote power is cool, it is also COSTLY (for us poor folks anyway!)

Speedtospare

I decided to go with an all aluminum L33. Its easy to find, cheap, light, has the LS6 heads, and makes about 380 whp NA with a cam swap. picked up a few parts on the weekend. A 50K mile complete motor with 799 heads for $800 bucks, a LS6 intake complete with rails sensors, tb, ecu, and wiring harness for $200.00. With exception of the transmission this project is cheap compared to the mod motor swap (thus far). its too bad chev motors are so ugly. Never built anything chev so its a learning curve.

Speedtospare

Change of plans. Since there is NOTHING around this area for chev parts with an aluminum block or mega miles on it I am switching to a 2JZ GTE (stright 6 twin turbo) Surprisingly cheap for these motors