• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tranny Crossmember Question

04Ryan

Hey guys, thinking about changing up my tranny cross member setup. Currently I have the stock Fox mounts with a Stifflers custom cross member. But I switched to a 4R75W and I'd like to change it up. I made the Stifflers work...but it's not ideal with the auto tranny.

So my question is...do I get a set of mounts from a 99+ car and use those? Do they fit the Fox tunnel perfectly or is there fab work involved? Or do I use this 96-98 Cobra cross member and mounts I have sitting in my garage? I had to modify my H pipe to make it work, and don't like the job the guy did. So I'd like to change that out as well and not have to modify a H pipe to fit. So I for sure want to get rid of the stock Fox mounts...but I kinda prefer the clean looks of the 99+ mounts.

Also, how many of you guys have moved the engine forward? Does that help with long tube fitment? I'd like to bump the engine forward 3/4"-1". Any obviously doing that and the trans cross member at the same time would be smart. Thoughts? I'm thinking with moving the engine forward that would gain me some header clearance and get the engine away from the firewall. I have tons of room in the front of the engine bay...so that's not a concern.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
IMO...use the Cobra mounts you already have. I think if you take the Stifflers cross member off, you can push the Cobra mount up into place and see where to weld the mounts.

04Ryan

Yea I have no doubt that would work...just kinda like the look of the newer mounts LoL Don't have that huge cross member going across the bottom of the car. My buddy works at a junk yard and can get me the 99+ mounts...but I'm not sure they fit the tunnel of the Fox. If all else fails I'll use the Cobra mounts I reckon.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
They will fit. If you like the New Edge stuff and can get it cheap, I say go for it.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
You can slot the motor mount holes on the k-member pad, depending on the k-member. Or, you can extend the k-member motor mount pads if you are planning something radical. Don't forget that doing so changes the balance just a bit, as well as the fan clearance and the wiring harness length. Since you are planning to install the New Edge tranny mounts, those won't be a problem. How far forward are you thinking?

04Ryan

I have a stock 2003 K member...I've seen guys slot the holes forward on the stock K members. Not sure how far...was really more curious if it would help with long tube clearance. I know the engine to firewall clearance on a stock 99+ car is a lot more then I have now.

But I dunno...I'm going for max power N/A but not a fan of long tubes LoL I might look into some Mid Lengths from JBA or something. Seems like those fit with the Mod motor in the new stock location on the Fox bodies from what I've read on here. I'm sure they'll make more power over my current FRPP Shorty headers.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Yes, JBA mid-length will fit nicely and will make great power. Plus, your site owner is a JBA dealer (and I was for years), so you have some expertise available on that specific brand. The nice thing about the mid-length verses the long-tubes is the ability to service the clutch or torque converter without removing the headers...if you need to. Plus, the ceramics help keep the engine bay much cooler.

04Ryan

Just wanted to update....installed the trans mounts off a 99+ car and they fit perfect! Drilled out the spot welds on the Fox mounts and chucked those bad boys in the garbage! So much more room under the car for exhaust now :)

dondo84svo

Just wanted to update....installed the trans mounts off a 99+ car and they fit perfect! Drilled out the spot welds on the Fox mounts and chucked those bad boys in the garbage! So much more room under the car for exhaust now :)
got pics of it?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Agreed. I took a cut off wheel and cut the part that stuck up and then took a body hammer and flattened the edges of the old Fox brackets. Served the same purpose, but probably isn't as pretty.