• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

4.6 DOHC into a 93 fox build- foxannne

foxannne

just wingin it
my car started its life as a 2.3 auto convertible, cousin owned it first was dubbed foxannne i was in love with it, 2500 and it was mine.
engine was dog slow, not my preferred transmission choice, drove it around had the time of my life as a 21 year old owning her, everybody wants to know if its a 5.0...
but i knew the deal when i bought this car, to build a hotrod. bought a junkyard t5, junkyard 302, 302 had bad compression, could source another for cheap but what was the point without everything else for the swap all cars near me with 302s were clapped or expensive pricing part by part on cj pony or LMR had me deep deep underwater.

lost with the motor now out of the car. needed a direction, sat on it for a few months to think it through.
same cousin i bought the fox from asks if i wanna buy his wrecked 96 gt sn95 4.6, t45 i did. for 800$ entire donor car. heaven.

and I've been tearing into ever since. currently have the motor on a stand in my living room, trans, driveshaft, dash, all harnessing is in my parts room or on a parts cart.
K Member is installed in the foxbody already.
hunting 94-95 spindles tomorrow
plan to run sn95 steering rack.
got to figure out the common method to adapting the fox steering wheel to the sn95 rack.
As well as common hydroboost setup tips
my understanding is i can run the foxbody fuel tank but the sn95 fuel pump?
im sure everything here has been done several times and all these questions have been answered, this is just as much good notation for me as it is a question to yall.
I don't know how active this forum is nowadays but any guidance is appreciated

Last edited:

foxannne

just wingin it
dont mean to make useless threads but i found an entire writeup on this swap on this fourm, kickass. im still down for pointers if anyone has any

Bill

Staff member
Donator
im sure everything here has been done several times and all these questions have been answered, this is just as much good notation for me as it is a question to yall.
I don't know how active this forum is nowadays but any guidance is appreciated
Ask all the questions you like. There are still a few of us that drop in from time to time. A lot of the builders that used to frequent this site have moved on to other project types. There are a couple of writeups on here with pictures for the steering and for the fuel tank/pump.

foxannne

just wingin it
update,
motors in, transmission is in. crossmember mounting brackets are welded in, sn95 fuel lines are in,
decided to go SN95 gas tank, as thats the normal consensus and modify the filler neck, not sure what that modification entails yet but i will find out later this week lol..
ECM harness, and engine/injector harness is ran, as well as the fuse box harness.
still have to install dash harness and the huge body/fuel pump harness
likely gonna try to use the SN95 gauges and collumn to see if it will start, and then unplug if the computer lets me
need to shorten the driveshaftm an inch.

Last edited:

foxannne

just wingin it
]i ended on a high note today with trans harness ran, chassis harness ran over the seats til it runs. then full interior pull and wire diet.
was able to jump the starter with a 12v connection. as well as hear the fuel pump kick. so those items work. just need them to get proper power, my only other redneck test would be of injectors spraying. now those items just need to get power/pulses on their own without me feeding them power manually and in theory the motor will run. my next big hurdles is not getting any key on 12v/ any power to the interior fuse box currently which has me at a questionmark, my understanding only turns on with key on. and i dont think im getting a true key on yet i bought an alldata sub today in hopes of figuring a thing or 2 out about jumping the box under the collumn to maybe get a crank out of her on her own.

also need to verify EEC is getting power at the correct pins, hopefully i havent fucked nothing up so far.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I personally think wiring is the hardest part of the swap.

foxannne

just wingin it
I personally think wiring is the hardest part of the swap.
it certainly isnt as easy as just dropping the motor in the hole ill tell you what!
this is why i went this route though, to learn a thing or 2 about something im simply just not confortable with.

got a power probe from matco the other day, 100$ repo deal!
been a game changer for this stuff.
got some power flowing through the interior fuse box off of this wire 37 off the back of the fuse box. huge win to see the gauges kick on and stuff. now i really need to find out how to supply this wire power the right way. because my ignition swich fuses are still good.

Attachments

• iginition fuse diagram.png
    iginition fuse diagram.png
    659.5 KB · Views: 4

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Have any of the wiring diagrams posted on here helped? I know there are a bunch of them.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
got me started, but for 20$ i got an alldatadiy subscribtion for exactly what i was looking for no hassle, id reccomend it to anyone swapping any car.
Post a link up if you have one. Things like that are always welcome.

massacre

Donator
Power probe is a game changer for sure. I love mine and use it often.
Check you ignition switch.
it's a known weak link on these cars

Bill

Staff member
Donator
It doesn't have to be.
Agreed. My Father-in-Law used to do all the wiring (trouble shooting) on these projects for me. Now he's in his mid 80s and can't do it anymore. I'm going to start another conversation at the end of the summer. This one will be a father-son project with my 15-year old. We'll see

foxannne

just wingin it
Post a link up if you have one. Things like that are always welcome.
https://my.alldata.com/ i had to pay 20$ but it was well worth it for what i learned while i was using it,
i just bought the helm manual. ideally that will lead me down a further rabit hole of understanding how these things tick,
https://www.helminc.com
i went with the 45$ one, idk the difference but ill be damned if i have to find out lol.
another apiffany ive leaned towardsthat everyone loves to talk about is PATS,
now have a constant power fused of course to that wire 37.
and used the power probe and gave power to fuse number 8 and was able to get the OBD PORT TO SHOW LIFE!
and... got forscan up, she threw a pats code..
but a lil redneckery on youtube shows you can throw a 1996 crown vic ecu in these 4.6 mustangs and they dont have pats.
so im on the hunt for one of those now!
idk if itll need a tune or what on the backend, but atleast i know that everything will fire off and injectors will shoot fuel if i ask em too.
far cheaper than a sct tuner and all that jazz for the time being, im sure ill go that route down the line, just cant justify tht kinda money when i havent herd the car fire off yet.

foxannne

just wingin it
This is why i went with Holley EFI.
that or the tevorlek is kinda what my backup plan is, but id really love to say that i Frankenstein'd this thing together in my yard and wire dieted, would put me under 2k. 100 hours+ easy lol. but cheaply done means ive won in my eyes.

foxannne

just wingin it
everything ive bought so far
800$ 1996 2v donor car
50$ u joint for steering shaft
100$ clutch cable
100 clutch pedal assembly
80$ 94-95 spindles
40$ hydroboost plugs (ill run real lines when the car runs and drives)
50$ in brake line and other fittings
50$fuel line connections
100$ i painted the engine bay black
20$ alldata sub
60$ helm service manual
100$ i still have to shorten the driveshaft
50$ for the OBD2 to usb wire for forscan
puts me at 1600 flat. im sure im missing somethings but generally thats everything i can recall off the dome

foxannne

just wingin it
everything its took to get to where im at currently
yanked out entire 2.3 engine/trans out of car,
strip engine bay to nearly nothing
interior gutted for the time being to run wires

yank motor out of donor.
i tried like hell to mark every connector with a letter so when it all went back together it was seamless to some extent.
after the 4th harness i had given up lol that was future me's problem. (wish i wouldve kept lettering now lol)
yank out motor/ trans out of sn95,

install 5.0 clutch pedal assy had to sand, punch and reweld to shift that pin for the pedal to be moved 3/4 of an inch upwards towards the pivot point. to work with the hydroboost system.
was able to bolt that into the car.
ran foxbody steering rack,
custom fabbed the intermediate steering shaft myself. combining a sn telescoping steering shaft and a fox steering shaft. using a double D u joint and some sandbelting.

94/95 spindle conversion,
cut a single coil off the sn's springs, and ran those. (fox's were toast)
ran front brake lines,
rear axle swap, converted to 5 lug fully and now running some 2015 mustang 18s.(not my favorite wheel but they were freei had nearly all the harness's except for the body and the dash harness's on my cart.
one week i tore down all the wires off my fox dash so it was bare.
then tore down all the wires off the SN dash, leaving nearly every little box possibly could still connected.
then went and pulled the body harness along with the fuel tank out of the SN.
next i painted the engine bay, and got the car up to the shop i work at,
dropped the motor in with the trans, then rachet strapped the trans in for the night
cut out a ton of floor in the sn so i could easily get to the trans mounts, drilled all the pesky spot welds out of the crossmember mounting bracket,
then did the same to the fox only i couldnt cut the floor this time around, poked through a few times. asked a co worker of mine to yell at me about pinion angle, we go it pretty happy, and laid my crossmember in while bolted up to the mounts, got everything right where i wanted it, and then tacked her in six ways to sunday.
pulled the cross and supported the trans with a jack, and went ham with a mig welder.
got a 11in clutch disc from work, cleaned up the existing pressureplate and flywheel with a wizwheel.
still havent installed those, gotta get the car back on a rack.
ran new fuel lines from a junkyard car, i cut mine being a dumbass when yanking the engine.
next, was what i feared most, wiring, had to pull the fenders, and basically go from front ot back. wires laid everywhere, mount ecu, go through all the grounds. make new chassis to frame, chassis to firewall grounds.
running everything, took weeks.
the letters helped, but i still have connections with no home that confuse the everliving shit out of me at night.
have both steering collumns in car, not sure as if the sn one does anything. i crank the car off the white box that bolts to the collumn bypasses the igniton switch itself. but theres wires in there so its connected lol.
sn95 gauges are in the car as it sits hope to retrofit the fox gauges when she runs.
as for cooling running the same foxbody 2.3 rad, and 2 electric fans, not sure that theyll be sufficient enough but the car doesn't run yet so i wouldnt know if it was lol.
my next big plans is to get the fuel tank back in the car, shorten the fuel fill neck.
buy a coilpack cuz i broke one.
drop the trans, install clutch/flywheel.
and get a crown vic ecu and verify crank/fuel/spark hopefully see the car will fire without pats in my way.

foxannne

just wingin it
heres a few pics of the progress.

Attachments

• 329757239_713385797133452_9128839640850843438_n.jpg
    329757239_713385797133452_9128839640850843438_n.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 337908719_5866297690135987_4843532770361638534_n.jpg
    337908719_5866297690135987_4843532770361638534_n.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 338663189_240167331718365_631569624885736252_n.jpg
    338663189_240167331718365_631569624885736252_n.jpg