• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Insanity

Bobby Amato

Hey bobby i wonder if i will run into this problem when i change the firewall plate for the new steering shaft for the SN95 dash, man i hope not lol

Who knows every car is different. Do you notice any slop in the steering from not having that bearing in there? If not maybe you should just leave it as is lol

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Im unsure on the droop or angle but i actually thought about fabbing up a bracket that uses the bearing, but without having to weld the plate in place. time will tell i guess.

Bobby Amato

Still much tweaking to go, but I got a rough piece tacked in place. I ordered a MM steering shaft last night, so I don't want to modify anything else until I see how the new steering shaft fits.

headermod1_zpsb091efbe.jpg

Bobby Amato

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

It's all down hill from here on out!

Here is what I had to do to the header to get it to clear the steering shaft. I had to buy 3 U bends @ $12 ea to make this happen. Then lucky for me I have another 4v on an engine stand in the garage where I did all of my fit up and tack welding.

Step 1
Turn header tube downward instead of straight at the steering shaft. This was tricky because the ports are oval shaped. I little squeeze in the vice and some hammering with a special tool did the trick.

headermod2_zps820c8cb0.jpg

Step 2
Once I checked that my new piece would clear the steering shaft it was time to remove header and bolt it to engine in the garage. Start to fit new pieces.

headermod3_zpsf2099366.jpg

Step 3
Cut the bottom part of the tube down to give me some room for another bend.

headermod4_zpsd145ad7c.jpg

headermod5_zps00edf36a.jpg

Step 4
After cutting new pieces and eye balling everything, start tacking in place.

headermod6_zpsc39e70d6.jpg

headermod7_zps76cd3a8f.jpg

Step 5
Weld everything up. It was some good tig practice. Again not pretty, but practice, practice, practice!

headermod9_zps39be2985.jpg

Step 6
Reinstall. This was a pain in the ass. When I finally got all of the nuts started I realized that I forgot to put the gasket on the #7 & #8 exhaust ports....Doh! When I finally got it in the steering shaft cleared and was installed!

headermod10_zps8dac03ea.jpg

Bobby Amato

Well another bump in the road popped up last night. I got catback from Joe over on socalstangs. It had super turbo mufflers. I absolutely hate how the car sounds with them. No big deal, I can swap them out. While I was listening to the exhaust the power steering pump started screaming so loud my neighbor (Ted Nugent) came out to see wth was going on. Long story short I asked a couple guys I work with if there is a bleeding procedure for the hydroboost and the answer I got was "it's a self bleeding system" WRONG!

Here is the procedure for it. http://www.agrperformance.com/AGR-Installation/bleedinginstructions.pdf

Luckily I have another pump, but once again.......one step forward, two steps back.

Bobby Amato

Well I got home from work today and went to work on the car. I pulled the old pump off and replaced it with the other one that I had. I followed the procedure from the AGR instructions to a T and still couldn't get the reservoir to give it up, so I started cracking each line in sequence until I saw fluid come out and then went back to the AGR instructions again and then I started to see some results. It took a long time since I was by myself, but that issue is taken care of.

I still don't seem to have a firm brake pedal, but now that the hydroboost is bled I will go through and bleed the brakes one more time to see if I can get a firmer pedal. Right now if I push the brake pedal down it comes back up really slow. Something still not quite right.

I also have to fins out why my fuel pressure bounces back and forth, so bad on the gauge that I can't really tell what the pressure is. I'm going to put another gauge on it when I get a chance, just to rule out the liquid filled gauge from being the culprit.

Bobby Amato

So as I was sitting on my thinking chair this morning it hit me as to the most likely reason for the soft brake pedal. I bench bled the master cylinder, but didn't bleed it once it was on the car before starting to bleed the brakes. I think once I bleed the 2 master bleeders and go around all 4 corners again it should be good.

Bobby Amato

Got home today and bled the master cylinder. I immediately started to notice the pedal getting firm. After bleeding both ports I now have a nice firm pedal. I reinstalled the passenger side fender and tightened up the pass. side suspension.

I'm in the home stretch now, maiden voyage coming soon!

Oh yeah, I found some really good front and rear tires on craigslist for $200. 275/40/18's in the rear and 245/40/18's up front.

Almostthere_zpsc57b69ab.jpg

Bobby Amato

Drove the car today! After 8 months what an awesome feeling. I was sitting on a wooden box since I don't have seats in it yet and I almost fell off of it when I took off lol.

I'm going to try and get the hood on tomorrow and then I have a lot of cleaning up to do around the house. Time to start doing all of the small things and getting it all buttoned up.

drovethecartoday_zps39a3b318.jpg

Svt Fox

Staff member
Drove the car today! After 8 months what an awesome feeling. I was sitting on a wooden box since I don't have seats in it yet and I almost fell off of it when I took off lol.

I'm going to try and get the hood on tomorrow and then I have a lot of cleaning up to do around the house. Time to start doing all of the small things and getting it all buttoned up.

drovethecartoday_zps39a3b318.jpg

Makes it all worth it! Good job!

Bobby Amato

I forgot to tighten one radiator hose, so that was leaking. Fixed that real quick, but we also found a fuel leak that I have not investigated yet. The weird thing is the fuel was coming from the driver's side of the tank. The lines are on the other side.

Hopefully it's an easy fix. I have been wondering why my fuel pressure wouldn't stay steady, but when ever I ran it up on the jack stands I never saw a leak. I guess putting a load on it and the fuel sloshing around would make a difference. I will report back with my findings later.

Spdjunky

How much room do you have between the inner rear fender and the inside of the tire/rim.
I'm curious if they can be offset more and moved in.