• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Foxbody 4.6 Dohc Swap

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Got the old car out of the garage today to straighten the garage up. Stated it up and drove it out, it was acting funny like it the throttle response was WAY off. So I thought what the hell im gonna change the computer. So I swapped the computer out with a extra that I had and the car actually ran better with a 97 GT computer. My question is how is this possible because I have a 97 cobra computer in it that made it run like crap and it runs ten times better with the 97 GT computer in it. Got me puzzled, im actually thinking about selling the cobra computer and keeping the GT computer and having it tuned with the GT computer. Any thoughts on the situation.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
There may have been a connectivity problem with on of the pins. I've had that happen on swaps before.

87_notchfox

justr another notch among the rest...
Donator
97 COBRA ECM IS A LLX4 I BELIEVE. THAT'S WAT I WAS RUNNING

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

87_notchfox

Donator
I BELIEVE 96 WAS THE LLX3 97 WAS THE X4 THEN 98 WAS WAY DIFFERENT WITH DIFFERENT MAPPING

87_notchfox

Donator
Supposebly 96-97 cobra ecm have better factory tunes compared to 98 cobra ecm

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Been doing some thinking about maybe fabricating me a COP harness for my car any thoughts? If been studying the wiring of some people who done it, looks fairly easy, just finding the connector plugs would be the bad part lol.

keeton

Been doing some thinking about maybe fabricating me a COP harness for my car any thoughts? If been studying the wiring of some people who done it, looks fairly easy, just finding the connector plugs would be the bad part lol.
I don't know, I'd bet the connectors are the same across all fords with COPs and modular 2v/4v motors

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
25,297 views of my thread HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I went out today and looked at the car awhile in its STILL unfinished state and I thought what along time to be working on a project. I tinkered a bit with some parts that's needed to be put on and then I fired it and just sat there in the driver's seat while it idled and warmed up a bit, then I cracked the throttle up to about 3500 rpm with the double tap that every mustang owner does to impress someone, you guys know what I am talking about LOL. Then I said to myself out loud " MAN I LOVE THIS CAR ". I still have a ways to go on it but I hope that with so many views I have at least helped someone in the past and saved some headache's or steered them in the right direction. I haven't really had the time or money to do much on the old car here lately with my new job. I will eventually get it done and be able to enjoy it.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
You can always build another 87_notchfox. I have had a lot of people who wanted to buy mine like it is but I just cant bring myself to sell it.

87_notchfox

Donator
I know I regret it...I will build another...just have to get the cash n place to do it...my current coupe doesn't compare to the power of a 32 valve all aluminum cobra engine

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Got the old sled out today and found out I had a power steering line leaking under the reservoir. So I redone all the plumbing on it and all is good now. I actually just moved it back to where it was originally, but originally I was running the dizzy set-up so that's why I moved the first time. So its back in place and is not leaking so that's its final resting place lol. Snapped a few pics today as the car is now, it still needs body work and paint. I also plan on painting the valve covers and cleaning the engine and bay needs to be smoothed.

Last edited:

Lsxbu

hello I joined the site hoping to get some good info....88 gt....
what I need I assume?
Tubular k with 4.6 mounts
hydro boost brake setup...what years is best? what all do I get from a donor car?
stock oil pan clear okay?
modify crossmember for tranny correct?
oil filter an issue on every swap?
im going carb

Speedtospare

hello I joined the site hoping to get some good info....88 gt....
what I need I assume?
Tubular k with 4.6 mounts
hydro boost brake setup...what years is best? what all do I get from a donor car?
stock oil pan clear okay?
modify crossmember for tranny correct?
oil filter an issue on every swap?
im going carb

Welcome. All the info your looking fro iGood Luck