• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

01 cobra irs into a 87 coupe...

87_notchfox

justr another notch among the rest...
Donator
i finally got my hands on a irs rear end for my coupe i been wanting one for a while and never found one with in my price range. now i have a 01 cobra irs sitting in my garage waiting to be cleaned and serviced before i put it into my coupe. but i am going to get rid of the 4.10 or 4.30 gears the guy said it has and got with 3.27 because of the gas hike lol...i cant wait to get it started and bolted up...ill post pics of it later

87_notchfox

Donator
i will i just got to get some stock gears to go in it and a exhaust also...

87_notchfox

Donator
got my exhaust...its a 03 cobra stock exhaust with only 8k on it...80 for it not bad this will work for now...i have almost everything to put the irs in...just need the time...DSC01913.jpgDSC01914.jpg

87_notchfox

Donator
so i was bored yesterday...thats wat happends when i go on leave before deployment...and this is wat happend

87_notchfox

Donator
here is wat i did to my fox...i got up early in the morning found a bunch of household cleaners and a can of degreaser and went to work on the irs...i took the cover off and found the oil to be nasty and very used and *#@%ed...lol...hers wat it looks like as i cleaned it...DSC01943.jpgDSC01944.jpgDSC01945.jpgDSC01954.jpgDSC01953.jpgDSC01955.jpgDSC01961.jpg

87_notchfox

Donator
here is the fun part...i started to disassemble my fox about 5 in the afternoon not a good idea but i had nothing to do so here is the tear down...there should be no need to explain if you have removed ur rear end before...DSC01970.jpgDSC01989.jpgDSC01991.jpgDSC01992.jpgDSC01998.jpgDSC02001.jpgDSC02004.jpg

87_notchfox

Donator
well i stopped like around 9 last nite because i was not able to remove the drive side side axle snubber bracket...so this morning after i broke my best flat tip screw driver i managed to get the bracket off not...kind of ugly but it came off...DSC02016.jpgDSC02017.jpgDSC02018.jpgDSC02015.jpgDSC02019.jpgDSC02020.jpgDSC02021.jpgDSC02023.jpgDSC02024.jpgDSC02025.jpgDSC02026.jpg

87_notchfox

Donator
DSC02027.jpgDSC02030.jpgDSC02031.jpgDSC02033.jpgDSC02034.jpg
here is the swap in a nutshell...i took about 1 day and a half to get everything in(the craddle) the bolts i still need to finish along with the brake lines but that easy once u have the top bracket in place...because i have to drop the craddle again to drill the other bolts then cut a small tab in the trunk were i am going to get lock washers and nuts to secure the bolts...the hardest part was removing the axle snubber brackets...i still have like maybe another half day left to rap everything up...we will see wat 4.10 and wore out bushings do lol...

Speedtospare

Awesome post. I am so tempted to do this but I think I am just going to throw a Watts link in there and call it a day. Let us know how bad the axle hop is. Thanks! Great job thus far.

87_notchfox

Donator
well u will get a better launch probably with the watts the the irs...but i will let u know i might try it out on the 1/8th mile this friday but not sure yet...but depending on how bad the hop is its wether i try to shell out about 1k to make it more solid and stable...or i might go back to my old SRA

87_notchfox

Donator
well its complete now the brakes are plumed and the cradle is some wat secure from wat i thought but i forgot to tighten the front cradle mount but thats easy...the other thing is a small leak from my brake line that i am going to tighten some more and hope that fixes it...then i will need new springs and mufflers because the stock 03 cobra exhaust is killing me lol...i cant hear my car running lol...but all i can say is i can shirp in 3rd gear alot easier now

87_notchfox

Donator
well if you plan on going to the strip often and want to really lay down some power stick to a SRA but if you want to be different then go for it...but make sure its from a 01 and up...preferably from a 03-04

foxcat

Really don't care about drag racing... maybe once in a bluemoon. Building a nice street/driver is more me.