• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

79 Coupe 4.6 Dohc conversion

BDvs

I want to document this build and make it as detailed as possible, not only for my record, but to help others. I'm sure at some point in this build I may need help myself. First off, I've owned this car since I was in high school. The first engine I ever built was for this car. Just like many members on this forum, I've spent countless hours and invested thousands of dollars in this Mustang. That being said....what's a few more dollars going to hurt :greedy:.

So the patient is a 1979 Mustang LX coupe. I recently, with the assistance from one of my best friends, pulled the fuel injected, AFR headed 5.0 roller motor out (It's sold) to make room for a 2005 Aviator 4.6 Dohc (55,000 mile donor). I bought a 2003 Cobra intake, 98 Cobra timing cover, 2001 Cobra ecu (PATS removed) and wiring and then bought a Dunnrite ecu harness with a fuse relay control box (time is precious). I have a stock k-member, Cobra radiator, overflow tank, and fan, 6 bolt flywheel, a scatter shield for my built T5 trans, Bassani mid length headers and X pipe, and a Vortech V1 s trim supercharger. I'm sure I'm missing something in there, but you get the idea. The goal is to have it dyno tuned for around 430 HP...I'm not looking to scatter a non forged motor. That should push this coupe well into the 12 second range for the few 1320 track days it will see. So not to bore you, here's a few pics of the progress so far...and a video of the car running on pushrod power for the last time.
581613_525937110754984_362859344_n.jpg IMG_20150307_233704_067.jpg IMG_20150308_165723_974.jpg IMG_20150308_165814_000.jpg IMG_20150313_152418_260.jpg IMG_20150313_152749_818.jpg

Attachments

• 1979 Mustang Coupe_20150319_055401.mp4
    3.7 MB · Views: 61

fstfrd

Donator
Great looking coupe, and welcome to the Modular Fox club...were here to help you just as others have helped us along the way.

BDvs

Thank you Fstfrd! As you can imagine, I really want to hurry and get it done, but I also want this swap to be photo and video documented carefully which will definitely slow me down.

fstfrd

Donator
Wow.... that coupe looks really nice...i cant wait to see the progression pictures. I took a few when i did my swap, and i regret now not taking more, so my hat goes off to you ! Good luck man ...

BDvs

Thanks again fstfrd, I felt the same way when I did my 5.0 fuel injection swap. I just dug in and got it done, not thinking about documenting the swap. Anyway, I'll be posting some pictures and possibly another video soon.

The car is pretty nice, he's local to me and been good friends for close to ten years . We share parts and ideas alot. It's gonna be fun for both of our cars to come together this summer.... hopefully!

BDvs

Thanks for the compliment, yours will likely be the faster of the two :) Hopefully we can hammer both cars out..between the two of us we should be able to tackle any obstacles that come up. Should be interesting to see which one comes out of the garage first :)

Last edited:

BDvs

I feel guilty guys! Trying to wrap up some projects so I can get after the stang...I'm trying to work a couple deals for bigger injectors, cobra brakes, and a Tremec TKO 600. In the words of the terminator..."I'll be back" :)

modulistic

damn, that car looks nice. I didnt know you could retrofit the later model sail panel (rear window) glass.

BDvs

Thank you modulistic, good eye :). It took a little work to get them to fit, not a bolt in deal. If memory serves me correctly, I had to drill one hole, mod the hold down brackets, and buy rope window seal. I also had to change all the exterior trim that attached to the windows, mirrors, and the interior back quarter panels.

BDvs

I've been adding parts to my list. Picked up some cobra brakes with drill/slotted rotors to handle the new power. And I will be getting some 60lbs injectors to run e85. Hopefully I can find some time to mod the k-member and get that prepped for install soon. I really want to start bolting parts on :)