• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Air Conditioning

FuturaGuy

Staff member
Has anyone tried using an '87-'93 heater/air conditioner with a Modular installation? I'm using the A/C from an '88 Mustang and ran into some problems. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have used a '94 or later A/C but didn't find the problems until after I cut the hole in the firewall. Both the inlet and outlet ports to the A/C evaporator clear the engine but the hose going into the inlet port interferes with the cylinder head. Also, the outlet port has a threaded connection that doesn't mate with the dryer used in the Modular Mustangs.

I solved the problem by having a tubing shop make a couple of S-bends, one out of 1/2 ; O.D. 6061-T-6 aluminum and the other from 5/8; O.D. aluminum. A welder/metal fabricator expanded the 5/8; piece on one end to accept the dryer. It turns out the 5/8; S-bend wasn't necessary because the dryer clears the head, so he cut off the expanded end of the 5/8; tube and the threaded connection on the A/C outlet, then welded the expanded piece to the A/C outlet. He also cut off the original expanded end of the A/C inlet, welded it to the 1/2 S-bend, then welded that to the A/C inlet. Everything fits and the system otherwise uses '98 Mustang lines, condenser, etc., and is compatible with R-134a coolant. This weekend I'll take more pictures and try to use less memory space.

Attachments

• DCFC0103.JPG
    DCFC0103.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DCFC0103.JPG
    DCFC0103.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 99
  • DCFC0103.JPG
    DCFC0103.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DCFC0103.JPG
    DCFC0103.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 86

jmdoc66

Good right up on the solution. I put a modular into my '84 and it also hit the heater in/out. I just placed the motor in the bay to get it off the floor, so I haven't looked at it closely.
I may have to look at a newer HVAC unit to replace the fox unit.

FuturaGuy

Staff member
Got a couple more pictures of the A/C, one before it was installed and one afterward. The first one shows the inlet with the offset pipe to clear the cylinder head and the evaporator outlet modified to accept the '98 Mustang A/C dryer. The second picture was taken at night in the garage with a drop light for illumination so it's not very good but it shows the inlet offset clearing the head. Some people at work who have seen the pictures said it ;looks factory;.

Attachments

• DCFC0110.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 178
  • DCFC0115.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 142
  • DCFC0110.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • DCFC0115.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 123
  • DCFC0110.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • DCFC0115.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 101
  • DCFC0110.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • DCFC0115.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 117

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Yes, search the threads. There are several examples on here, but the holes don't line up quite right. It does require a bit of modification.

takdashark

Donator
Do the pipes you had expanded fit into the male spring lock fittings, or is it just to sleeve onto another piece of tubing?

Thanks!

takdashark

Donator
I've made a little progress with my ac. I bought a Mastercool hydraulic crimping tool to make real ac lines. I cut and clocked the hard line coming off the accumulator and gig welded it, got the new condenser in with the Spal pusher fans mounted properly, last thing is to make/modify a liquid line and add a high side charge port.

I looked throug some wiring diagrams and I see the 99-04 cars have a high side pressure switch, does anyone have a pictur of where it is located???

419forest

I've made a little progress with my ac. I bought a Mastercool hydraulic crimping tool to make real ac lines. I cut and clocked the hard line coming off the accumulator and gig welded it, got the new condenser in with the Spal pusher fans mounted properly, last thing is to make/modify a liquid line and add a high side charge port.

I looked throug some wiring diagrams and I see the 99-04 cars have a high side pressure switch, does anyone have a pictur of where it is located???

Are you using a fox dashboard?

takdashark

Donator
Although, I'm probably going to do the dash swap this winter, so I'll be re making the lines and getting a new accumulator. The fittings are that get crimper on the lines are cheap, and being able to tig weld the aluminum stuff is a huge help.

419forest

Although, I'm probably going to do the dash swap this winter, so I'll be re making the lines and getting a new accumulator. The fittings are that get crimper on the lines are cheap, and being able to tig weld the aluminum stuff is a huge help.

I'd like to see you get the fox ac controls working with the ac system that is setup for the Terminator engine. Are you using the Terminator dash harnesses?

takdashark

Donator
It all works all ready, I just had trouble with the lines. I was losing freon constantly. I'm using a fox dash harness and a Termi engine harness.

419forest

It all works all ready, I just had trouble with the lines. I was losing freon constantly. I'm using a fox dash harness and a Termi engine harness.

I have Terminator harnesses throughout my car. I'd like to hookup my AC, but am using a Terminator dashboard harness.
Thanks for the write-up.

takdashark

Donator
That should be pretty easy I would assume, the heater controls should plug right into the fox one, or you could put the newer one in. I believe they are the same.

419forest

That should be pretty easy I would assume, the heater controls should plug right into the fox one, or you could put the newer one in. I believe they are the same.

I haven't checked to see if the connections are the same. I'll assume that they are.

If so, then there's still an issue. The fox dashboard uses vacuum-actuated movement of the vanes whereas the Terminator dashboard does not.