• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Coyote swap to begin this weekend

I'm going to start this build this weekend. Planning on pulling the current drivetrain and getting the engine bay ready for coyote power. I ordered some Scott rod panels for my engine bay to clean it up. I found a local salvage yard with a '98 Gt in it,the place is selling me the hydroboost out of it for a $100,I just have to pull it myself.
I'm planning on using a tr-3650 trans from an '03 Mach 1 for this swap. Has anyone used the stiffler's crossmember to install a 3650 trans in a fox? Also,I'm wondering if the aluminum driveshaft that was in the Mach 1 will work in a fox body.
I'm not gonna rush this build,planning on doing some other upgrades to the car as I go. I'll keep you posted as I progress.

Svt Fox

Staff member
The driveshaft will work but you may have to shorten it.

What K-member are you using? Did you already purchase the crate engine?

Quick update:
Removed the 302 pushrod/t5 drivetrain over the weekend,and my UPR stuff showed up today. Still waiting on my Scott rod panels,I called and was told they should be shipped by the end of the week. Also, may end up using a tko 600,instead of the 3650. A guy I know is swithing to an auto set-up and he has a promotion prepped tko that may be for sale. We'll see.

Speedtospare

Sounds like a great project. Go with the TKO if you can. I have seen many failures with the 3650. If you can get a T-56 they are holding up well, even in stock form.

I just spoke with promotion and they said the same thing,that the 01-04 tr-3650 won't like living behind a coyote.
If I do decide to stay with the 3650, I'm going to send it to them and have them work their magic on it. They claim their heavy duty 3650 can handle 70o horsepower and 7000+ shifts.
Anyhow,that's more unforseen costs in this build.

Speedtospare

I have tons of unforseen addition to cost. Its part of the custom build process. At least thats what I try to tell myself every time it happens lol

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Has anyone used the stiffler's crossmember .
What ever tranny you wind up with, give Brian Figg a call (Stifflers designer). Over the years, I've sold Maximum Motorsports, Kenny Brown, Steeda, Mac, UPR, and Stifflers...Brian's stuff is top of the line. He can usually tell you which mount to use and how to set it up to make his cross member work for your application.

Another day and no Scott Rod delivery. Called them and phone just rang. I bought the tko600 so that's the route I'm taking on the trans . I need to find a modular bellhosing,the Quicktimes are nice,but $600+ is more than I want to cough up,maybe I can find one used.

Good news,bad news. I finally received my Scott Rod panels and they look great! Bad news is I broke my stupid foot and have to wear a moon boot for the next 4-6 weeks. I guess when I said this wasn't going to be a rush build I meant it. lol! I'll post a few pics soon.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I done the same things about 4 years ago but I broke my arm. Ended up selling my VW project because I couldn't work on it lol

Update: Not much! I've been down due to this broken foot. I've just been collecting more parts. I bought a Quicktime bellhousing to bolt up a tko600,and decided to get an aluminum flywheel to replace the stock cast iron one. Hopefully,I'll heal up and get some progress to report on real soon.

NCTroop

Sorry to hear about your foot. Your still ahead of me. I decided to build my coyote motor from scratch. Boss motor with worked heads and custom cams. Also got my trans but now I am waiting to recoup some funds before I start ordering my suspension. So I got the meat and potatoes but got a crap load of fixins to get. Lol. Probably be picking your brain along the way if that is ok.

Sorry I've been m.i.a.,but it seems bad luck has been my only luck as of late. I reported I broke my foot. Well not long after that the transmission in my wife's s.u.v. crapped out. After fixing that, the a.c. went out in it. Then my daily driver '02 Gt decided it wanted in on the action. It lost oil pressure and developed I nice knock on my back from Chicago two weeks ago. I've decided to put the coyote swap on hold for the moment and get my work car back on the road. I just picked up a 2010 4.6 3v with less than 5000 miles to swap out my hurt 2v. I'm hoping to complete the 4.6 swap while my fox is in the paint shop. It's going to be a very busy end to 2013.