• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Howdy!!

vettn71

New here, of course. This is my third post. Woot! Woot! I own a 96 GT, which will be my donor car for a 4 eye swap. Lots of good stuff here, I just need to sort it all out. I know I'll ask questions that have been answered. If you could just point me to the link or tell me what magic words will get me there, I'd appreciate it. I have good computer skills, until it comes to the search function, it seems. Nice and cool here in DFW this week; mid 80s with a hit of rain. Wish I had my project to start on.

Jim

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Hi Jim. Welcome to the party. Ask all the questions you want. It is true that the search feature is your friend, but we don't get upset about people asking questions. We are all builders and have been there. Dig in, make yourself at home, and start a build thread.

vettn71

Thanks, Bill. I see you've fought the wars and have apparently beat the problems down to parade rest! I'm jealous. I am looking at two cars currently, both pretty much rollers. One is an 85 convertible (carbed) the other is an 86 hatch. I like convertibles, but with the top and seals, I'm out $1200 to $1500 right away. Are the more issues using a convertible for the swap?

Thanks
Jim

Bill

Staff member
Donator
My current toy is an 86 Vert. Beyond the normal chassis stiffening you would expect, the problems are about the same. If you are using a coupe as a donor car, the wiring for the body will be different. Particularly if you want power windows and door locks. Other than that, the issues are the same.

vettn71

The 86 hatch I went to look at today (3 hour drivers each way) pretty much scared me. The weatherstrip was all pulled away and the car doors were full of water and mosquitos, the interior was wet, the hood was off and everything was pretty rusty. I passed on it. The other option is an 83 convertible. Interior is trashed, but otherwise a solid looking car. Is there much difference between the 83 and 85-86? I know the 86 was fuel injected and had a computer, but the 85 was carbed, I believe.

Thanks, Jim

Bill

Staff member
Donator
From a swap perspective there is virtually no difference. Most of the 83-86 convertibles came with the EFI V6. The body is the same. The dash is a bit different, but if you are going to swap the dash anyway, that won't be an issue. If you are going deep in the swap and the body on the 83 is good, I say go for it.

vettn71

Good to know. Since it's such an early model I'm hoping there's no big differences. I was looking for an 86 at first, but this came up. I like verts, so this might suit me. Hanks for the response

Jim

cpearson1342

If you're looking at a non-factory efi car, just know that there's no spot in the passenger kick panel for the computer to mount so you will have to mount it somwhere else or make a spot.

cpearson1342

I'm putting the one for our 82 under the passenger seat, but if you do a rear seat delete that would be a good spot. There's not really much room behind the dash anywhere, but you could always cut the area out where it usually goes I suppose so you wouldn't have to modify any wiring.

vettn71

Well, made the plunge. I found an 84 coupe roller. Good body, no rust, no interior, either. It has an 8.8 with 5-lug Fox axles. The guy was going to do a full repaint on it, changing the color, but found another car. I'll need to look at it carefully this weekend to see what all I got. Trunks full of trim

Jim

cpearson1342

Nice, I think that was probably a good choice over the other one. I have an 82 notch, but don't have any plans for it yet