• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I got the 4V running pretty decent in the fairlane.

ndfastang

Here's a short clip of a 2 runs at around 3/4 throttle on the fairlane. I need to tune for the deleted IMRC's and the ported intake and cobra upper half. The Mark VIII PCM is still stock tuned.

http://vid259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/ndfastang/20150925_190220.mp4

I'm putting the car away for the winter to work on the body, some more wiring and swapping over to a power rack setup. The manual rack with that big steering wheel is still too tough for the wife.

I'm also picking up a wet nitrous kit for the car. Why not. I'll stay around 100hp on it and not toy with puddling.

ndfastang

I decided to go ahead with power steering and get the nitrous kit after all. My buddy wants the Flaming River rack for his racecar and I'll add some cash for the nitrous setup. I'll start small and work up to a 100 shot since it's pretty decent as it is. An extra 100 hp will be all I need without the extra tuning, injector and all the parts to destroy the front end with an intercooler. Plus, we are going to put a Vintage Air setup on it now that I don't need the IC.
I have the reservoir and the pump mounted and am going to get a rack setup later. I'll just build the lines so they match and fit the car. I just need to cut the coil brackets off that reservoir mount though as they look goofy there.

I have big plans over the winter. I just got accepted for the job I was hoping for so the shop will have to be built first.
Dave

ndfastang

I got sidetracked. I took the rack off and was headed to get a new belt to fit for the power steering pump and I stopped at a buddy's house. I picked up a wet kit from him and brought it home to install. Almost done.

Now it can sit and wait for next spring. I'll clean this all up too.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Looks awesome. My wife wants an early 60s T-bird convertible, so I've been following this build.

ndfastang

So my 11 year old says his RZR170 is too slow for him and he wants a full size one. He can't reach the pedals and sit back in the seat on the wife's RZR4 so he has a year or two to go. He asked if we could put more power in his then. I set this on there and he got excited as all hell.............

Can you imagine being 11 years old and telling everyone at school you have a side by side with nitrous? I spoil these kids. Of course, the bottle is back in the Fairlane now. It sure looked cool up there though.

ndfastang

The bottle is gone. Yes, the ADHD got to me and now I have V3 Si trim Vortech under the hood. I have a few fitment issues to deal with but I think this route will work perfectly fine. The wife will be able to drive it and not worry about the buttons but still gets to play with it as she wants to (and she does). I just need some fuel and air parts to get as well as the tuner and decide if I'm going with an intercooler or not.
First, the teaser shot......

Now the installed shot with the coolant crossover out and the fan out too........

Here's the fitment issues,
Fan and blower inlet will interfere with each other so I need to move the radiator forward, use a different fan, adjust tis one some or something to help it fit..........

I'm not sure, but I don't think I can get a pulley in there. I have to check if the cobra has a different alternator setup than the Mark did because there isn't much room there at all for a pulley.............

I have to get an idler pulley, some good securing hardware and work on these issues. I'll make a new coolant crossover setup because I think what people want for the Vortech one is just stupid. I can make one easier.
Well, I'm now on track and have my goal. A good MAF and some 42# injectors and I think a simple 450hp will do just fine.
Thoughts??? And shut up about my indecisiveness.
Dave

ndfastang

Thanks! I'm trying to be different but I'm seeing more and more show up. I hate drinking the Koolaid.

I have a few issues I need to tackle with it now. I cut and pasted this below from other forums I posted on. See if any of you have any insight or constructive criticism for me.....

I remember my old A3M and A9L days where the EEC4 can handle up to 42# injectors and no more. I've seen people talk about 50's with their setup. Is there something new with the PCM's that they can do more with or what? I'd like to stick with this PCM and a quarterhorse for tuning so I don't have to control the trans separately or manually.

Going with the blower, and seeing many new setups, I see lots of guys going blow through MAF's. If I went with the aftercooler setup, I'd have to go draw through or can I swap over to a slot style and run it just after the cooler? I think there would be enough straight line for a good reading. What's the easiest to tune MAF setup for my goal and self tuning? I was thinking a 90 LMAF in blow thru but like the idea of the slots.

Those are the two big issues I have now along with the cooling I have to modify. I have the rear head crossover setup and am looking at the On3 crossover delete but I'm going to keep the heater in the car so I have to plumb that all. My nerv's start up thinking about the lack of flow across the thermo to get it to open. Using that kit, I'd guess drilling holes in the thermo would cure this?

As of right now, the car is torn back apart so I can paint it. Then it'll be back together and I'm going to try and get it all together by the end of summer so I can work out the fitment. Then I'll do the forging and trans rebuild over next winter.
Any thoughts?

hipoman

Ive seen other ones close to this & some were pretty good. A couple of pro shops have some close to it. But i would have to say the work you have done is very impressive. It takes a lot of patience to not rush into getting it done. I built some of my motocyles that way. Keep it up.

ndfastang

Little to update here. I did get a 3.60" pulley for the blower and I ordered some stainless allen head bolts for the whole setup to match the rest of the bay. I paid $24 for 3 freaking bolts!!!! I am still working on gutting the doors and everything to get it ready for prime and paint. I have to cut out the rear passenger fender and replace it due to the rust ont he wheel well arch and the dent in the back of it from the PO. Those are the thing's I'm scared of. I'm not good at body work.
The headache I'm dealing with now is the blower to radiator space. I can't really move the engine and trans backwards without lowering it or cutting the trans tunnel and reworking the exhaust. That leaves me with moving the radiator. That sucks with the current space I have and the lack of desire to cut into the radiator support. The more forward I go, the less room I have for an intercooler and it also makes it look more and more modified than stock 63 Fairlane. I have to compromise somewhere. I might just put a filter right on the end of the blower and not have an elbow on it for cooler air from somewhere else. I've seen it done all over but don't like that idea. I know I'm going to need a thicker radiator too which only pulls more space from what I have already. Kind of bummed on this part.
I think the biggest bummer on this is the cold outside. It's in the single digits now and I can't get out in the garage. I'm planning a heater build so I can tolerate it out there. I'm also researching the idea of blow in insulation. It's mildly insulated but not enough. I need new doors too. We just picked up an LED light bar for the RZR and we are getting a plow so there's more money out of the garage fund. We need to have room for customer and family cars and to be able to get out of the driveway.
I may not get to do anything on the car with all these other things. Summer is coming though.

hipoman

I'm not sure on how the rad core support is in those but street rodders have to deal with that. Look at some of their fixes. Is it possible to install the radiator on the front side of the support or cut the hole bigger to mont it midway? You could have a custom radiator built I'm sure. Just thinking out loud. LOL

ndfastang

I think I have the fix.......

I was a little discouraged yesterday as I was working on 3 other vehicles and looking over at the Fairlane. I finished up and went over and messed with it. I found a 19x26x2.5" radiator that would work in the bay as a thicker core and would fit forward more between the rails and just into the core support some. That leaves me with just 2" of room between the hood latch support and the radiator for an intercooler. In my searching for the radiator on line, the wife asked when I was going to look up the A/C setup for the car. Well, that throws out the whole FMIC idea. I'm not going to run any meth or anything in it either so I have only two options. One, no intercooling of any kind, or two, go with an air to water intercooler setup. This is a street car so that does sound a bit on the extreme side. Maybe not. I can get an intercooler in the fenderwell (as a member once suggested to me here), have the heat exchanger up with the AC condenser and radiator, (which gives me more room for the radiator to move also giving me more room for the fan and blower intake), pump just about anywhere and then a 1 or 2 gallon water tank in the drivers side fender (or even in the trunk with long lines like the racers do. I'm not screaming for weight reduction. It's a street car that weighs 3070 with me in it now. This isn't a bad idea but does sound different for the street. I do have the room for all the components in the car. Is the cooling effect worth it and would I be able to starve off heat soak with cruising and occasional blasts? Is all that stuff worth it or is it better to just leave it as is and run no cooler? Of course, I'll do that first while I research the other idea but it does have me thinking. I'm going to size up and cut out some foam to the size of a CFM rated cooler and fit it in for fun. Why not. At this rate, I'm going to build this drivetrain for a tube chassis setup and have to swap it into one.
Anyone have any experience with A/W setups? Their design are simple enough. Getting the biggest exchanger is the key to cooling and efficiency is all about the CFM and HP support of the cooler. These are easier to work in than an A/A but just have the added connections and such. Look at the pic below and tell me it's an insane idea. Just 10 minutes of searching in the middle of typing this and I find this.........

ndfastang

I built a foam mock up of the real IC size and tried to configure it as I'd need. It looks like I'd cut a hole in the side of the passenger inner fender where the air filter currently is and I'd put it in there. It would be sticking out into the bay by about 3 inches though but that's not bad. I could paint that black to match the bay and not stand out or I could leave it. I'm letting that idea sit for a while and just looking at non intercooled for now. I needed to do the fitment thing for later on when I get the engine rebuilt and forged though. At least I know what I can do and don't have to worry about reorganizing things when I go to get started on that plan.
So, for now, I will just go with non intercooled and stick with less than 10psi.
I picked up a 3.42" blower pulley for later but that will be put on the shelf. I also got a set of 50# high impedance injectors for use with the stock PCM. They will be good up to the hp level's I'm looking at. I still need to get a reply from Vortech about the idler pulley setup. I may have to get a pulley and machine out some spacers of my own if they don't reply.