• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Norfolknova 66 F100 modular conversion and full Restomod build

norfolknova

We started the deconstruction of the 66 F100 So I am starting my build thread. The plans for the truck are Crown Vic IFS, Mark VIII IRS, Mark VIII Teksid 32V 4.6L, and a 3650 manual trans. Saturday was the first day to actually start working on the truck.
We removed the Bed and rear bumper and started removing the fenders and front end sheet metal. Everything is pretty rusty so the front end is coming off slowly.

Matt

norfolknova

Cool thanks, I would like to see how others are proceeding. unfortunately I can not devote near as much time as I would like to the project. I hope to give it at least 1 day a week. Once i finish getting the front sheet metal off and remove the cab from the chassis things will really start to move along. I just cant wait to see the frame sitting on the IRS and IFS, because after that comes fitting the motor and trans

matt

norfolknova

I got out to wok on the truck for a couple of hours and worked on removing more of the front end. Finally got the left fender completely removed.
So just how many bolts did it take to hold a fender on in 1966? LOL
Hopefully now that I know where all of the bolts are the right fender will come off easier. i hope to get out for a couple of more hours Saturday.

I also broke out the heavy tools, the generator and the grinder, rusty bolts do not stand a chance

Sorry about the crappy pic

Matt

norfolknova

It has been a couple of weeks since I have updated this thread. I made some good progress this weekend. I got the rest of the cab off of the chassis, pulled the motor and transmission, and pressure washed the chassis. I am going to have to hit it again though, 47 years of grease and grime can be hard to get off.

Here is a couple of pics

Hopefully I can get over and get the steel tube and plate I need so i can start to put in the IRS and IFS next weekend if the weather holds up

Matt

norfolknova

I took advantage of a day off and some nice weather. I remove the old twin I-Beam front suspension, the cross member, and the spring buckets. Next time I work on it the Grand Marquis front suspension and cross member will be going in. I think I will have to set the 4V on the perches and see how it is going to look sitting between the frame rails

norfolknova

Dateline Jan. 4, 2014.

I made some more god progress. The Crown Vic front sub frame is mounted, I still need to pick up some plate and box the frame where the subframe is mounted. I also need to make a mount for the lower control arm radius arm bracket, plus a few other brackets. But at least it is back on all fours rolling again. Well at least until I start the rear suspension in a couple of weeks

Matt

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I seen a F100 on the old interweb with a S/c 5.4 lightning motor in it, it looked awesome. Great progress, keep the pics coming

norfolknova

I would like to put a 5.4 into this project, but I already have the 4.6 4V. I was going to put it in a Fox, then this project came along so that is where I will put it for now.

matt

norfolknova

Not a whole lot of progress the last couple of weeks because of the weather and some busted water pipes at the house. I did get two of the plates made for mounting the rear suspension.. I also made the templates of the frame to mount the plates to then I can bolt the entire assembly in and strengthen the frame where it needs to be cut. I have to see what the weather brings next weekend and see if I can finish preliminary fabbing and get everything at least tacked up

Matt

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I love the way the front end went together. If you find yourself next to it with a camera, I would love to see some detail shots of how you make it all work.

norfolknova

I will get some more pics. The front end was surprising easy, once the cross member was removed there were already two holes from the rubber bump stops that were also the exact width of the crown vic alignment pins It would have been a tri-fecta if the holes would have been the right diameter, but alas I had to bore them out with a uni bit. A few measurements transferred from the CV axle to the frame and triangulated for square and the front axle was done in a day. The rear axle is taking quite a bit more time, but like I said I am going to make it a bolt in installation, which will require more welding than just welding the axle in, but using the bolt in installation it will give the frame more strength where i have to cut into the frame.
I still need to box the front frame where the CV axle is mounted

Matt

norfolknova

8Feb14
I got out to work on it for a few hours today. I got the rear IRS mounting plates and the side plates for bolting to the frame cut out today. All I can say is , " I need a plasma cutter." Next week end I should be able to get the rear mounting plates tacked in and hopefully cut out and tacked in also. I will have to see how the weather is.

Here are the rear mounting plates attached to the IRS

I also got the frame notched out to accept the IRS

And here are the side plates that will bolt to the frame

I will have a total of 8 1/2" bolts bolting each plate to the frame on each side

Matt

norfolknova

16 Feb Update.

I got the IRS rear mounts tacked up. I had to pull the springs out to get the rear mount bolts tightened up to get the front mounts lined up where I want them. Got some measurements for the IRS front mount brackets and got them fabbed up, just need to tack the front mounts to the frame piece, then remove everything from chassis to do a metric butt tonne of welding. Yes I know some of my welds look hideous right now, but I am getting good penetration. That is why they make flap wheels I will grind them down and redo them, it was getting late and I was getting tired, that was how I knew it was time to go.

Here is the frame sitting in the IFS and IRS with not rear springs

The IRS rear mount

and my hideous needs to be rewelded IRS front mount

norfolknova

I finished up the rear mounts this evening. Next weekend it will be sitting on the IRS with the springs on. I also plan on putting on the front wheels and get some measurements.

I would go work on it tomorrow, but I have to go vinyl a couple of trucks for a company, then I have to come back and make a couple hundred decals for a couple of other customers. I was kind of hoping the trucks would not be there to vinyl so I could go work on the 66.

Matt

norfolknova

MArch 1
I finally have the truck fully sitting on the IRS and IFS with the rear springs in place.
I measured the frame height at the rear axle before I pulled the rear axle out and now I measured it the IRS in. It was a 6 inch drop. Here are some pics

I started to pull the 351W apart, it looked promising when I pulled the intake off. The lifter valley looked brand new. Then I pulled the heads off and found a chunk missing out of one of the pistons. The missing chunk was no where to be found, but all of the bores still look good

Matt

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Unfortunately, you know that missing piece had to go somewhere o_O