• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

01 cobra irs into a 87 coupe...

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Bringing back an old post for the new members, can't copy the link so I just bring it back to life. I'm sure 87_notchfox won't like this brings back memories lol I think he sold this car. But this car was the one that inspired me to build my car.

87_notchfox

justr another notch among the rest...
Donator
Ill bring the post alive this Afternoon after work...n Yeah theres nothing better then a trio down memory lane

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

86GT2go

My first Fox was an 88 Notch. Totaled by a Gray-Hair who didn't see me until she hit me.................at 45mph. Got the 85 Notch just a short time ago and want to build it as it (the 88) should have been. This is valuable info in this thread; thanks for sharing it (and going through the pain of having it brought back up!).

87_notchfox

Donator
I liked it. Plus the look of a irs and the exhaust was badass. If I Would have dragged it I Would have stayed SRA. But I didn't mid the 2 days worth of work. Would I do it again maybe depending on the wheels. Since its wider then a fox 8.8 my fenders had to get extremely rolled.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Is it worth the time, or would you of stayed with an 8.8?
For me, it is more about budget. If you can afford to make the IRS match your plans for the car, go for it. There are guys out there that drag the IRS, but they have some money into making it stand up to the beating.

87_notchfox

Donator
For me, it is more about budget. If you can afford to make the IRS match your plans for the car, go for it. There are guys out there that drag the IRS, but they have some money into making it stand up to the beating.
Yeah maybe the cost of 2 solid axles pretty well built.

87_notchfox

Donator
Very good stuff for the IRS. No so good for the wallets lol

cpearson1342

So was it basically bolt in other than drilling the one hole that didn't line up? Did everything else line up such as the spring perches and the lower control arm? Obviously the line and parking brake cable will be a little different, but I am looking to do this in my 86 and don't want to hack everything up to get it in, if it's just drilling one hole I'd definitely be fine with that

Bill

Staff member
Donator
There are actually a lot of little differences, but the big things line up well. There are several holes to drill. I did a how-to article on it several years ago. Let me see if I can find it. There are a bunch of them out there on the web and I think there are several on this site as well. It is an easy weekend install. It takes about 14 hours for one guy or significantly less if you have two or more guys. I've seen it done in 3 hours at a shop with a crew.

cpearson1342

That would be great if you could find it for me, I tried looking on here but didn't see anything about it other than this thread, in the suspension forum at least.

87_notchfox

Donator
It's not a hard process to install. It lines up just as a solid sale but instead of using the top control arms u have a rear mount that requires 3 holes to be drilled per side. It took me a weekend to do it by my self. There's a few write up just got to find them. The rear brake lines do have to be modded and the ebrake cables I might be able to use some from the Ford racing cobra brake upgrade kit. Just got to track the part number down.

cpearson1342

Thanks for the link whitepony, I think it's really cool to do that and I've seen this guy's mustang in person (coyote swapped). It's a very clean car and all done very professionally. Anyway if I was going to do it I'd want to do it right, the way they did it there and I don't want to do the cutting/ removing involved