• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

02 GT into 89 hatch

modulistic

I have an 89 hatch that was a 5.0, but is now a shell. Everything came out of it and into a 92 hatch as a 4 cyl swap, which I then supercharged.

but thats a different story.

So I had this shell sitting around on 4 cyl axles and suspension, but its very straight and zero rust. So I hung on to it until I could find a donor car. ANY donor car. My difficulty is I am in Alaska. so there is no piecing shit together at the junk yard, or people wrecking a mustang every other week for me to pick from. Also, shipping crap up here is insane. So I found this 02 GT. 80K miles.

It will have most of what I need, interior, fuel lines, fuel tank. all harnesses, brake lines, etc etc. Gonna do the entire dash swap/ steering column. pretty much everything.

got the engine out and all the engine bay stripped down

Cut out the firewall plate for the steering column bearing. PAIN IN THE ASS, especially on the one you are trying to save. I used a plasma torch and then drilled the rest of the way. this is how much needs to be cut out of the firewall. Also, the oval hole on the left needs to be enlarged, a portion of the wiring harness goes through there. The sway bar mounts had to be cut out because I was reusing the brake lines and they pass right by where they mount.

A note, this swap is not intended to be beautiful, its pretty much a byproduct of my inability to throw anything useful away. Just pretty much want to get a running fox out of it with a 4.6. As far as I know, it will be the only modfox up here. There may be one or two.. I dont know about them. The 02 was not salvaged because it was totaled by the insurance company I bought it from. Body work is so expensive up here, it would cost as much to fix as buying one that was never wrecked. Also, I hate welding. I am going to try to get the AC working, more as an afterthought. not really necessary up here.

got the hydroboost in, had to cut a million holes in the firewall and fender skirts for the wiring harness. getting stuff laid in. Still sitting on the 5.0 k member and control arms with 4 cyl springs spindles and struts. From my reading I will have to swap the a arms over, change the ball joint and use the new edge spindles and struts. not sure which rack to use at that point. hopefully can use the new edge rack with shorter tie rod ends? the sway bar is gone.... irritating, but it was the 4cyl sway bar anyway. going to have to weld the mounts to the bottom of the frame rail.

and new edge heater box, carpet and the wiring inside. I am a little worried about all this cutting I hear I will have to do to the new dash. will cross that bridge when I get to it.

right now the only thing holding me back from getting the motor in is the transmission cross member. I have decided to cut the one out of the new edge and have a buddy weld it in the fox.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
You can leave the SN95 control arms. The SN 95 has a slightly wider track width, but that effects wheel choice as much as anything. The wider arms offer a much improved steering geometry.

modulistic

Thanks for the reply, I just got the suspension back in and didn't like how the rims stick out about an inch. Will later model rims wor?. Can I get away with using the 02 rear as well?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Yes and yes. There are plenty of wheels out there that will put the tires where you want them. There are several builds on here that do just that. The 02 rear has the same track width as the 02 front, so it helps making the wheels match.