• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

4.6 dohc swap a 89 gt.

Justin Mcneal

I'm wanting to know a tad more about taking a 96-98 cobra motor ect and putting it in my 89gt. My car is currently 5.0 pushrod with aod. What all do I need to know or find out?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Justin, you are in the right place. Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of build threads on here that will walk you through the process. The biggest thing you need to know is that planning is everything. Start a build book (paper or virtual) and save copies of all the little how to do something tips you come across. Now is a good time to cash a reality check as well. What will your budget be for both time and money? What skills do you already have and what will you need to either learn how to do or be prepared to job out. A 96-98 Cobra is an awesome donor car with virtually every part you will need. Your 89 GT will make a fine conversion platform. I recommend finding a complete donor car to use, as this makes the process SO MUCH EASIER. Make yourself at home and dig in. Once you have a chance to look through all the forums and see how others are doing things, you'll know more about what you need. I have subscribed to this thread and will be happy to discuss it with you as time goes on.

Justin Mcneal

Justin, you are in the right place. Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of build threads on here that will walk you through the process. The biggest thing you need to know is that planning is everything. Start a build book (paper or virtual) and save copies of all the little how to do something tips you come across. Now is a good time to cash a reality check as well. What will your budget be for both time and money? What skills do you already have and what will you need to either learn how to do or be prepared to job out. A 96-98 Cobra is an awesome donor car with virtually every part you will need. Your 89 GT will make a fine conversion platform. I recommend finding a complete donor car to use, as this makes the process SO MUCH EASIER. Make yourself at home and dig in. Once you have a chance to look through all the forums and see how others are doing things, you'll know more about what you need. I have subscribed to this thread and will be happy to discuss it with you as time goes on.

Thanks I have a wrecked 96 mystic cobra on the hook and am reading all the stuff to convert mine over as we speak I might me in over my head but then again I’ve seen back woods ha k job conversions run so lol

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Thanks I have a wrecked 96 mystic cobra on the hook and am reading all the stuff to convert mine over as we speak I might me in over my head but then again I’ve seen back woods ha k job conversions run so lol
You'll be fine. If you have the drive to get this far, you'll make it the rest of the way. I say go for it. We will help in every way we can.