• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

85 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swap

86GT2go

Reason for me joining here was that I acquired a 1985 Mustang Coupe a short time ago and was wanting to go a different route with it. It was originally a 2.3/auto car (console delete low-options car, but with A/C of all things). Started researching the DOHC 4.6L swap and the research led me here. Glad to be here and glad to be a member. Work schedule, money, and free time permitting, I will post pics of what I am doing as it goes along. There may be a job and geographical location change coming soon as well, so that may hinder progress.

Anyway, on to the car. I already have a 91GT and an 84 TurboGT project, so I really didn't need this 85 Coupe (but, my first Fox was an 88 Coupe V8-swapped). Was looking for one when I came across as ad in the foureyedpride classified for a Coupe that was close to me (well, 1.5hrs away). Went and looked at it, bought it, and dragged it home (not all in the same day, as money did not permit that!). It needs work, but was overall fair for an Ohio car and came with lots of spare/good parts. Car was originally Oxford White with the Canyon Red/Charcoal Black interior. I dislike Red interiors, but because the door panels/interior panels and included GT seats were in good shape, I decided to keep it (even though I have everything to convert it to gray interior) and choose an exterior color that would go with the Red. Decided on Dark Shadow Gray Metallic for the exterior.

The day I brought her home (these are after a bath, as it was covered in mossy mildew):

Body is a bit rough, but overall savable. The guy included replacement doors, trunk lid, passenger front fender, core support, and hood to get rid of the bent/rusted sheetmetal. I have a rust-free 91LX front inner clip, which will be used to eliminate the strut tower/frame rust issues, along with Scott Rod smooth inner front panels to weld in.

86GT2go

Interior was in ok shape, minus the dash top cracked to heck and the seats no longer locking in the upright position. what I started with:

Where I am at now (with the 140mph/8k tach dash cluster swapped in) with everything being test-fit (as it will have to be removed when I take the interior out for painting (refresh) and new carpet):

The steering wheel is one of the 83-86 Non-cruise Mustang GT/Capri RS wheels (this one is the Capri unit. I got it missing the center insert). The insert is a Ford Focus road wheel center cap turned down to fit the depression (I did it for my 91GT, as it is Blue/Silver two-tone. This wheel will be replaced with an 84GT wheel, which has its original center).

86GT2go

Restoring a set of tail lights for it (won't go in until the car is painted/buffed). I have close to 30 original lenses and about 15 buckets, all pulled from salvage cars (what can I say, I love the 83-86 Mustang tail lights, better than any other Fox Mustang tail in my opinion):

Bucket and lens washed (lens base-polished) and bucket taped up for the coats of DupliColor Bumper Coating Black.

Lens polished and taped up for its coats of DupliColor Bumper Trim Black.

Bucket taped and reflective finish added (Rustoleum Chrome. Next set will NOT be done in that as it dried to less of a shine than my other brand Chrome)

Finished product. They are not show-worthy but will work for a daily-driver. To me, I think they came out pretty good for using 30-year-old junkyard parts and a little bit of my time.

86GT2go

Got the 98 k-member modified to fit into the 85.

Also tore down the Teksid engine in the garage. She will need to be re-sleeved, so I will be going with the FRPP 96mm sleeves and the 3.725" crank when I rebuild it. Love the 'rust' in 3 of the bores!

86GT2go

Hopefully it will get the love it needs! Next week or so the car will (hopefully) get its underhood sheet metal replaced and starting with the bay smoothing. I have the k-member, a-arms, spindles, and struts ready now, but am waiting on install until after the underhood is squared away.

86GT2go

Picked up a 99 Cobra IRS for the car yesterday. Nothing like driving for an hour and a half each way through small town after small town (chocked full of off-timed red lights) on a two lane road plugged up with semi traffic to really get you wondering if the part is worth the hassle!

Sadly, I now have to fix a problem with the old ladies car before I can get to doing anything with this (and hers requires the steering column to come down/away from the dash for troubleshooting purposes).

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The grocery getter problem sucks, but at least when you get it fixed you have an IRS to play with. Did you have to pull it, or was it already out.

86GT2go

Already out, so i will need to track down some hardware. No problem there, I have a Lowes right down the street from me and access to a lathe (I have my own bit set as well, since the shops pieces are used/abused). 10 miles from me is a metal recycling/sales business that I can procure the needed metal from.

Haven't been able to work the grocery-getter as it has been raining here all day (won't complain too bad as we REALLY do need the rain).

86GT2go

If the rain will stop (looks like it will be good on my weekend) I will be troubleshooting the old ladies car (if it is an easy fix I will fix it too). I will also be unloading the IRS and getting it cleaned up. Hopefully I can get the no-longer-useful 7.5" rear out of the 85 and get the IRS started on its' mock-up. I will have to stop at Lowes and grab some hardware. Pics to come as soon as I can get them loaded to the 'Bucket.

tORMENtOR

Subscribing! Off topic but I'm in the market for a 84GT Turbo,seems we have similar taste. Keep the pics rolling.

86GT2go

I found my 84 GT Turbo by accident. One of the guys I work with called me (at work no less) to tell me about this 'turboed' Mustang he was looking at. After getting a description from him, I was curious (as I didn't know that a GT Turbo even existed, I had only heard of the SVOs) and went to look at it. Took the VIN and build plate info and ran it by FoxChassis (FEP) and he told me what it was (and how rare it was). It was in my garage the next day! Going .030" over 2.3T with the Volvo head swap into that one (if I ever get time to get back to it, as it needs a LOT just in the body) with a Holset HX35/HX40 just to get it running again.

Messed with the old ladys car today, so no real work on the swap. I need to take some scrap metal in for some cash to get a few parts for the car. I should have enough to get the rear up under it (loosely) by Saturday evening!

86GT2go

Got the old 7.5" rear end out today. Also got the axle snubbers/brackets drilled/chiseled out. I will shave my nuts with a rubber knife before I do THAT again (there has to be a better way to get those out)! Pick up my 03 Cobra pinion brace bar in the morning. Then it will be time to get some test-fitting of the rear done and some bushings/sleeves turned.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I think the last one I did, we used a cutting wheel and just left the little welded piece there. I think I ground the edges with an angle grinder, hit with some Por15...I don't remember it being in the way of anything.

86GT2go

I'll get out the welder and fill in the holes it left. Went to pick up my 03-04 Cobra pinion bar today............won't be here until tomorrow (as it is coming from Atlanta!). So, tomorrow morning I should have it in hand and give it a test-fit.

Also, just an FYI for anyone wanting to do this IRS swap, Ford has discontinued the 99-01 AND 03-04 parking brake cables. We did a system search and found a set of cables at a Ford dealer 100 miles from me. Needless to say, I ordered them! Next closest set, Atlanta!

86GT2go

Some pics of the fun so far:

Washed the underside after these pics were taken, and am getting the IRS cradle ready for the test-fit. I have the body marked where metal will need to be moved to clear the rear mounts, but am waiting on my 03-04 Pinion Brace bar to show up so that I can install that with the rear out of the car.

Last edited:

86GT2go

Ok, just messing around with some VHT Wrinkle Black (baked at 200* for 1hr), I was doing some 'proof of concept' painting today. I like the way it turned out, and will do the same to the replacement tensioner pulley when I get it. All tensioner/idler pulleys will be Gloss Black with the accessory pulleys aluminum against this Wrinkle Black. let me know what you all think (the timing arrow scripts will be done in Red for 30*, Yellow for 10*, and Green for TDC).