• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

85 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swap

86GT2go

Thank you! I too have used a combination of natural metals with Wrinkle Black and have come to like its clean appearance. I have strongly considered painting the alternator case with the Wrinkle Black as well. The block and heads are going to be in a natural aluminum coloration, with a modified 93-96 MKVIII 'Ball of Snakes' intake having the tubes polished. Oil pan will be Gloss Black, along with the pulley set-up. Plug wire covers I am still up in the air on, as I have a few ideas there that need to be fleshed out.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
That does look nice and I agree it will deliver a nice clean look that will allow you to draw attention to the parts you want

Speedtospare

That does look nice and I agree it will deliver a nice clean look that will allow you to draw attention to the parts you want

Thats what I thought. Last year I had the car out and no one noticed the engine swap at all. I powderccoated the bits to orange with gold flake and everyone noticed the engine swap.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I like the black wrinkle paint gonna do this to mine some time soon, keep up the good work it looks great.

86GT2go

After a conversation with a friend tonight, this swap/build has definitely got some choices ahead of it. IF I can pull off half of the things/ideas we tossed out, this car will be unique (note I did not say beautiful). Time to get busy with this planning and get a bunch of my spare parts sold off!

I will also agree that it sometimes is the little things or the overall coloration of something that brings a project from "Ho-Hum, was anything done?" to "Holy S^*& is that thing bad-a$$!"
I was showing one of the guys tonight the timing cover (after the arrow scripts were painted) and he thought it was awesome looking, but noted it was a detail that would easily be overlooked. I was even thinking of going so far as to re-create the paint-pen inspector markings and have decals made in the image of the original pick-ticket labels that were on the parts before I stripped/painted them. Thinking about it further, I believe they would add more clutter than clean at this point, even though they would lend a hint of plausible credibility to the 'What-if?' idea behind the swap/build.

Last edited:

86GT2go

Ok, haven't been able to mess with it lately, but I am getting a few minutes today. I am finishing up the install (rough fitment, as it will need to come back out for bushing upgrades and a GOOD cleaning) of the IRS now. Trying to get my poor 14.4v drill to get the holes drilled in the subframe without killing itself. I really need a corded 1/2 drill!

I will be taking some parts in to work with me for clean-up and for some hopeful test fitting. I need to talk to one of my machinist friends to have some brackets made up/parts altered. I promise I will show you what I am working on IF it works (sorry, have to keep some stuff Super-Saien-Secret-Squirrel until I can get it all working properly). The 4.6L DOHC swap is still slated for this, but finding a suitable donor in my area for under a Grand is quite daunting of a task.

86GT2go

One step closer, or maybe two steps behind! I picked up a 97 Lincoln MKVIII Sunday night. Runs and drives great, bags are good, body and interior are nice. 68,000 miles on the car.......................got it for $850 as it needs a brake job and a right front wheel bearing. Complete front hubs are only $75 so i bought one and front pads/rotors. I honestly think this car is too nice to cut up!

Like I stated, is it one step closer or two steps further back? :)

Svt Fox

Staff member
One step closer, or maybe two steps behind! I picked up a 97 Lincoln MKVIII Sunday night. Runs and drives great, bags are good, body and interior are nice. 68,000 miles on the car.......................got it for $850 as it needs a brake job and a right front wheel bearing. Complete front hubs are only $75 so i bought one and front pads/rotors. I honestly think this car is too nice to cut up!

Like I stated, is it one step closer or two steps further back? :)

Let me know if you do! I am looking for a replacement engine.

86GT2go

I bought it to use the drivetrain out of it into my Coupe. But the more I look at the car, and the more I am in the car (I'm sure it will get a lot worse when I actually start driving it regularly and 'cleaning the engine up/out') the less I want to cannibalize it! I have a line on a 93 MKVIII engine/trans/wiring harness/computer, but he wants $800 for all of that. I am now torn as to what to do driveline-wise for the Coupe project. Do I kill this car, or keep it and just buy the guys drivetrain?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The good news about parting out a nice Mark 8 is that once you have what you want off of it, you can sell all the small stuff on ebay and probably get most of your money back. Doors, fenders, deck lid, interior, lights, grill, front and rear suspension...you are looking at close to $1000 right there. I say part it out and use the money to get more parts or keep yourself out of hot water with the little woman

86GT2go

I would be in hot water with her if I DID part it out! She rode in it (and drove it back from the grocery store) and fell in love with it, and was questioning my sanity for wanting to part it. Before I bought it though, she was up my tail about wasting money on another 'damn' car to part for the Coupe. She said something to the effect of "Just get it and do with it what you need. Get the body gone quick so the neighbors won't complain about more of your crap cluttering up the neighborhood."

Bill

Staff member
Donator
LOL! I feel your pain my friend. Does she need a daily driver? If she does, let her drive it. If momma's not happy, no one is happy.

86GT2go

The car is too nice for it to suffer that death too! She treats her cars like rolling, disposable garbage cans. NOT going to happen to this Lincoln.

I decided to keep this car intact and get that other drivetrain!

86GT2go

Slowly, as I have been working overtime to get the money to cover what I have already spent! Getting the EFI gas tank built up and ready to go in (as this was originally a carbed car) and a few other things. Going down to a friends house next weekend to have him look at machining some brackets I will need to weld into the K-member and rear spring perches (this is for another aspect of the project I won't mention until it is all mocked up).

I have decided to keep the MKVIII, even though the steering column needs to be rebuilt. It is a good car for what I paid for it, and more than likely will grab the other drivetrain to swap into this Coupe project. The drivetrain is a 93 unit and I have the later beehive-spring 96.5+ heads to swap on. When time permits, I will be on this again, with pics.

86GT2go

The IRS is up under the car now, but everything has been put on hold. I took a job back in Florida (as that is where I am from, and dads health is starting to fail at an alarmingly quick rate) and everything has to be packed and shipped. I have a start-date of Nov 11th, which leaves me no real time to work on anything except to get it trailer-worthy.

This build continues, and I will update as updates become available.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I'm on the wrong end of the country to help (El Paso, TX), but if you need a hand, don't hesitate to put the word out on the forum. I'm sure someone would be willing to help you turn a wrench enough to get'er on a trailer.

86GT2go

Thanks Bill. I am trying to get some of the Fox guys here to help out, but they don't want me to go!