• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

89 Swap

Ok so I recently picked up an 89 LX. Its in pretty good shape not really many rust issues. mainly surface rust and still solid. After tearing down the stock 5.0 I could see why it hasn't ran in a little while. The car also had a little fire issue that fried the main harness pretty good as well as the headlight harness so both are gone.

I started considering a mod swap mainly because of the block capabilities over the old 5.0. I have no idea what Im getting myself into with this swap so that's why im here. This build will definitely be on a budget and I have no set deadline other than impatience.

So with that being said where is a good place to start? find a donor car? find a motor? 2v, 3v, 4v?

This car will be mainly for the track but I will occasionally take it out for some fun. I don't care about power steering, ac, ect...

whiteponygt

These swaps are not that hard as far as fabricating with that being said,this is no weekend swap. Being as your building a track car your wiring will be to a minimum.your best bet is going to be a donor car if your on a tight budget 2v 4.6 are rather cheap. Here in va you can get one some school kid tore up for 800-1000.00. There are many different things you can do to the motor pi heads,build it for nitrous,the possibilities are endless. My advice before you start come up with a plan write it down and stick to it.If not it will become a pain in the arse later.

If you can swing it get a wrecked donor car, in my opinion it's the easier way to go and little brackets and nuts/bolts that you never think of, plus it's easier to visualize things and routine of electrical etc..

whiteponygt

I scowered the internet for a month till I found my cobra I was lucky enough to find a running driving 96 cobra for 3500. I sold 1500 worth of unneeded parts that wouldn't swap off its a lot of start up cash but most off it comes back.