• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

96 Mark VIII into 91 Coupe. Help

Blckcobra

Alright guys here it goes, im wanting to do a swap 96 Mark VIII into a 91 fox coupe. The Lincoln is 100% complete runs and drives coupe is nothing but a roller right now. What im needing is some help/direction on what i need to know before i tackle this project. ill give a list of stuff i have and a kinda game plan... Car is going to be a DD nothing fancy other than a CAI and gears for the time being.

From the little ive seen you do need a mod K member which i have, I have the stock K member out of my 03 cobra, complete with A arms etc. i read that you have to do a little trimming to get these to fit which isnt a problem cuz im a decent welder/fabricator.

Where im going to have the most problems is wiring.... i HATE wiring, but i think im competent enough to do the swap (i hope) how much of the interior harness will i need? also can i use a Fox gauge cluster? i dont mind running mech. gauges if needed.

Brakes im planning on running a manual setup, its just gonna be a DD so no real need for a hydro boost, that is unless its a super easy swap in which case id be willing to try it out.

Fuel system i have no idea on... can i use the setup in the Lincoln? if not what is a cheap/easy system to use?

I will be using the 4R70W and can modify a trans cross member.

Any other tips would help out ALOT

Thanks
Jake

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
Jake,
Sound like your on the right track.. All that info and wiring can be found on here.. If you have anything to contribute please post it up... And make sure to post lots of pics... Again Welcome

Speedtospare

Use the 03 k-member but you shoud use SN95 or fox A-arms. The cobra's will be too wide. You need to trim the k-member near the back where the small 4 bolts attach to the frame. Make a cardboard template, its very easy.

I used Mechanical oil, fuel, and temp gauges but I will eventually get my dash to work entirely. I used a autometer tach adapter to get the tack working off the cop's and the speedo I used a cable-X box. Honestly I did it wrong and I should have just installed the wiring harness out of the mach I had.

No idea on the tranny xmember. I had a custom one made that bolts into the stock fox location and offsets to fit the T-56

The wiring harness I bought from RJM. I wouldn't go this route as it was very expensive and I had to modify the so called plug and play harness. The wiring was the worst part for myself as well.

Blckcobra

Thanks for the info, I got the motor and trans pulled out last night. For anyone pulling these motors out I found it was WAY easier unbolting k member and taking engine out from the bottom of the car.

I'm at a point now where I'm going to need some parts before I put engine in. I need exhaust manifolds, other than stock manifolds what will fit in fox?

Svt Fox

Staff member
Thanks for the info, I got the motor and trans pulled out last night. For anyone pulling these motors out I found it was WAY easier unbolting k member and taking engine out from the bottom of the car.

I'm at a point now where I'm going to need some parts before I put engine in. I need exhaust manifolds, other than stock manifolds what will fit in fox?

If you are not going to run stock manifolds, personally, I would run long tubes.

Blckcobra

if i were to buy long tubes, would i buy them for say a 96-98 cobra and they will fit in a fox? with a stock K member i know from my 03 cobra that long tubes are a tight fit as it is.

Svt Fox

Staff member
if i were to buy long tubes, would i buy them for say a 96-98 cobra and they will fit in a fox? with a stock K member i know from my 03 cobra that long tubes are a tight fit as it is.

You can use 96-04 so I am told. The 99 and up I think are cleaner because the front don't have as many smog ports...

Blckcobra

Has anyone ever finished a wiring write up of using a stock fox dash harness with a mark 8 engine harness? Still kinda confused on what I will need for the car to "run" I don't mind running all mech. gauges but do I need anything that's not on the engine harness wired to the computer for the car to run?

FuturaGuy

Staff member
So far as wiring goes, I've posted a couple of things on this board that might help you. If you go down the posts on the home page to "BriansStang" dated March 15, 2012, I posted Comment #16 with a wiring diagram for the harness to adapt the Fox dash wiring to the Mod underhood wiring. And in the "Electrical Wiring" forum, I started a thread titled "Mod Motor Wiring in General" dated Sept 27, 2011 where I put a generic schematic of the Mod Motor underhood harnesses (plural) and how they connect to each other and to the dashboard wiring. The best I can suggest is to have to wiring diagrams for both your Fox and the donor car, and trace each system (starter, ignition, instruments, etc.) individually to determine how to connect them. Make sure you have a good ohmmeter to test the circuits and write down everything you do. If you need more specific help, send me a PM.

Blckcobra

pulled computer and harness that comes through the firewall out, turns out this thing had a chip in it, im guessing anyway, the computer was held in by some pipe cleaners haha and there was a little red chip plugged into the back of the computer with electrical tape on it. doesnt have any markings or part numbers on it however i did find a Diablo sticker under the arm rest and i assume thats what it is.

i posted a question in the wiring section about the transmission harness, thats the last piece i will need

dondo84svo

pulled computer and harness that comes through the firewall out, turns out this thing had a chip in it, im guessing anyway, the computer was held in by some pipe cleaners haha and there was a little red chip plugged into the back of the computer with electrical tape on it. doesnt have any markings or part numbers on it however i did find a Diablo sticker under the arm rest and i assume thats what it is.

i posted a question in the wiring section about the transmission harness, thats the last piece i will need
did you ever figure out the tranny harness?