• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Are there "preferred" swap combinations?

EvinH

So I'm going to start my journey into this conversion and had some Q's on preferred swap combinations. Meaning is it "easier" and I use that word loosely, to swap a 2V as opposed to a 4V? Or 96-98 Cobra motor and associated ECM and wiring as opposed to a 99/01 or 03/04 Cobras? I know there's a million and one combinations, but I'm hoping that people who have done it can look back in hindsight and say if I was to do it all over again after what I know now, I would do "X".

My conversion is starting with a set of 03 Cobra heads and a Teksid block. I thought this was a good place since those 03/04 motors make some outstanding power. But after reading a few posts on the issues that come up when using 96 through 98 parts and a whole different set of issues with 99 and up parts, I'm not sure if I made it any easier on myself by not planning this out first.

I know that I want to keep the 93 interior and dash in place, although I like the look of the newer interior, I feel if I'm going to go that far, I might as well get the whole car. I want to be able to keep and use A/C and heat. Outside of that I'm open to any suggestions and recommendations.

whiteponygt

If the money permits I'd say terminator or coyote swap but they are expensive,the 96-98 cobra or Lincoln 4v swap is usually best bang for the buck.

EvinH

Thanks for the input. Are 99/01 and Mach1 conversion not too common either? Is that due to cost like the Terminator or Coyote swap?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
It sounds like it is time to cash a reality check. What do you plan to do with the car? What do you want it to be able to do? What is your skill level and budget? It is a bit difficult to give you an intelligence answer without a bit more information. The Teksid block and termi heads can be an impressive combination under the right conditions. Depending on how much HP/trq you want to. I'm using a 99 Cobra donor on my current project. Mark VIII and 2v swaps are more common simply because of the cost and availability.

EvinH

Bill, that's understandable. To take a step back, if I had known how "cheap" a factory teksid block could be bought for ($350 to $450) and the amount of power it could handle, I probably would have made this switch a long time ago. I say cheap because the comparable HP limit blocks in the SBF world easily will set you back $1500+ and that's for a used block. I know because I have an R302 block that I bought for $1300 and had to put more money into machining to get it ready to build. And that's a 1000+ HP block, which I highly doubt I would build something to that level. So when I hear or read that a Modular motor is expensive, I say to myself, either motor is expensive if your playing the HP game. Since I traded some spare parts that weren't going to get used for a complete set of 03 heads, chains and tensioners, oil pan, pickup, pump and minimal investment in a block, I'm ahead of the game when compared to my 4-bolt SBF build. And that's just comparing the money spent on the block. The money saved can go to good internals, either using factory forged Cobra cranks, 03/4 rods and a good set of pistons or a stroker kit. From my side, outside of a fully running terminator or coyote long block, the modular is "cheaper" probably more work, but "cheaper" in a loose sense.

I'm starting with pretty much a bare shell. I gutted my Fox so I can lay down new sound deadening/thermal barrier material, new carpet, pulled the wiring to clean and re-tape it, aftermarket ECU, aftermarket k-member and suspension, upgrading to 5-lug, etc. So I'm at liberty to go either way. I've been interested in the Modular swap for a while, but never looked into it until I seen the 03 heads and block up for sale for a whole lot less than I had in either my block or my heads. That prompted the swap. I'm even considering a swap to the late model interior since everything is out of the car anyway.

With all that said, sorry it was long, my ultimate goal is having a comfortable and decently powered street car that I can take to an open track or time trial event or go to the drag strip, still have A/C, heat and a nice sound system. I can't drop $25 or $35K on a new 5.0, so this is the next best thing. I do all the work myself, I waste money on mistakes and I learn from them. I might be naive, but had I known I could get factory heads and a block that have the potential to support quadruple HP numbers for around a $1000 before I made my 4-bolt investment, I would have made the mod swap a long time ago.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Stripped out Fox, Teksid block, termi heads...definitely the bones of a champion. http://modularfoxmustangs.com/community/threads/teksid-2v-tech-article-must-read.821/. Take a read through the link. It will give you some ideas. Don't worry that it is about 2V stuff. It will tell you about pistons and things. There are several good tech articles on here like: http://modularfoxmustangs.com/community/threads/fords-4-6l-teksid-and-wap-blocks.811/, http://modularfoxmustangs.com/community/threads/ford-modular-4v-heads.810/, http://modularfoxmustangs.com/commu...od-for-03-04-cobras-and-dohcs-in-general.105/, There is one on here somewhere about modular piston design that is also a good read. You are on the right path. Ask lots of questions. Someone here will likely know the answer. I don 't know all the answers, but I did own a Mustang speed shop for a number of years, so I do know some of them. We specialized in chassis setup, so if you need recommendations on what will let you do autocross, open track, drag racing and street cruising, I would be happy to chat about it.

EvinH

Bill, I really appreciate all this info. Thanks a million! I'll definitely ping you for your advice on chassis setup. really really appreciate it!

Lariat

i'm not an expert on wiring, but if you could find an unmolested gt at a scrap yard grab all engine bay wiring, and if you can internal wiring as well. The only thing you'd have to change on the gt wiring to fit the 4v heads would be extending the wiring for the COP's. I know that was one thing I was planning on doing to a 2v I had at one point, but I sold the vehicle before I could carry through with plans.