• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bring on the Chaos!!

85fox2v

well im 23 a 3 year professional mechanic, bought my fox as a totally gutted 1985 4cyl 5spd gt roller that didnt even roll, rear end was locked up, first step was swapping rear-end and spindles from a 95gt rear-end has ford racing 3:73 gears sadly have down graded my wheels from 16in ponys to 15in american racings , now I've purchased a 1997 Lincoln town car had minor issues engine is strong only 101000miles $500 invested there, then learn the Transmission is smoked oh and the roller cost me $300 the rearend and spindles were $250, new transmission from a 98 mustang $200, wheels were free set of O2 sensors $50 found a top end off of a 98 4.6 mustang to have proper intake dressing an extra set of heads and intake manifold, Hydraboost from 98gt $60.
So, today I started the process this morning got the engine straighten out so she runs smooth, then dropped the trans out, ( incase anyone would care too know a lincoln towncar Driveshaft will NOT work for this swap, likewise with engine mounts) engine pulled and engine/trans harness and ecu removed and this is where I decided a good place too call it a week will be uploading pics shortly
IMG_6587.jpg

IMG_9916.jpg

IMG_8137.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_6763.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg
burnt up trans
IMG_1141.jpg
empty engine bay of the lincoln
IMG_6567.jpg
mustangs new heart out on the floor

85fox2v

4r70w I believe, from a 98 4.6 car. I'm lazy so I'm going auto, later down the road I may Convert to standard but for now I'm using what I've got

85fox2v

ok so today/yesterday got the hydroboost mounted and the engine fit in first time, learned the lincoln manifolds would come no where close to working, glad I picked up the lot of parts I did for included was a set of 99 mustang manifolds tomorrow I lay fuel lines finish up brake lines (suggestions? 97 proportioning valve into 85 lines, and on that note 85 valve had 3 outlets 95 has 2??? help?) pics coming, also on the look out too land a h-pipe, x-pipe for 99-04 manifolds any help would be awesome
IMG_2115-1.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg
difference between lincoln and mustang manifolds
IMG_2925.jpg

difference between manifolds better view
IMG_2927.jpg

what a fit!!
IMG_9612.jpg

85 shell, 92 nose, 97 engine hell yea!!

myers407

Staff member
The 2 port brake valve was used for ABS. It will not work on the 85 brake system. You will need to go to an ajustable valve. Great strat and good luck!

85fox2v

ha ha yea I would of rather kept the ponys but I couldnt pass up the deal on the sn-95 parts, got those uglys from my boss for free, been on his shelf for 3years un sold

85fox2v

As for progress today, got fuel lines laid, brake lines ran, and the engine sat in for the final time (I hope) altered the town car engine harness to route the tps and egr plugs to the proper places on the mustang intake, then got home tonight to load up the mustang transmission I picked up and checked out the "computer" the guy gave me with it, turns out to be a CHH3, I'm not 100% sure just how good that is but it makes me feel better knowing I will be running a mustang ecu rather than a lincoln town car ecu can anyone confirm anything special about the CHH3?

85fox2v

Since I have decided im just going to run the 97 harness into my 92 dash harness I really hope I dont have to deal with pats

Wreckedj30

Since I have decided im just going to run the 97 harness into my 92 dash harness I really hope I dont have to deal with pats

Unless you have a tune on whichever ecu your using, your going to have a problem with pats... sorry my friend.
Also there's a difference in ecu pin-out from the 96-98 to the 99+, due to the coil pack to coil on plug ignition system switch. So i would either find an earlier computer or later engine harness, since the harness is wired in look for the 96-98 computer.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Nice observation Wreckedj30 i didnt even notice the coil packs, Yeah gonna have to change the harness or computer, if you keep the computer you will have to run COP's. Just find a 96 up GT with the harness and computer to match, two birds one stone lol

85fox2v

Never considered that, guess its a good thing I haven't got far on the wiring, back to the drawing board.....

Wreckedj30

It's not that much of a set back, just focus on what you want. I see the stock motor has coil packs, and you did already have a 96-98 engine harness? All you need is an early 96-98 computer and a sct tune to shut off pats. If you later want the cleaner look of cop's you could re-pin the ecu connector and solder in the 8 coil connectors or get the later harness if its available. Just to throw it out there I've got an early sn95 computer if your interested.

85fox2v

Yea I have the stock harness and computer from the 97 lincoln, the Lincoln didn't have a PATS system that I know of, the keys anyhow, were just plain metal no chips

85fox2v

So haven't updated in a couple days, I've got the Engine all buttoned up, brakes I just need to get proper hose too fit the 95 calipers, power steering is sorted out, I intend to have my boss weld up my Transmission cross-member brakets that had too be relocated ( I do NOT trust my own welding ha ha (will up pics of that)) steering column and pedals are in waiting too put the dash in until I sort out/ decide what route I am going wiring wise, I'm on the search for a drive shaft and a 5.0 fuel pump/ sending unit both of which I may have found along with my factory exhaust h-pipe just waiting on the funds to purchase. Oh and debating running the lincoln computer with no PATS or finding a sn95 computer and purchasing a programmer