• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Foxbody Mach Swap a/c and wiring question

cpearson1342

So I am going to be swapping the complete drivetrain from a 2003 mach 1 into my 1986 mustang and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether the 2003 evaporator core will fit in the 86 box, everyone seems to just tig weld the connectors on. If anyone knows if it is possible please let me know, thanks.

Also, I want to be able to use the 2003 gauge cluster and only the wiring for that, is the harness for the speedo at all separate from the rest of the dash harness or will some cutting and splicing be necessary?

FuturaGuy

Staff member
I don't think the 2003 evaporator core will fit in the '86 box. If nothing else, the tubes come thru the firewall in a different location. I've got an '87 heater/AC in mine and the cylinder head prevented the return line from fitting into the evaporator. I had an S-bend welded on the evaporator to clear the head. See my post "Air Conditioning" under "Modular Conversion Discussion". I should have used an SN95 heater/AC but found the problem after I cut the firewall. Oops!

From what I recall of the SN95 wiring diagrams, the instruments are not wired separately from the rest of the dashboard wiring. It looks like you've got a lot of cutting and splicing ahead of you if you plan to use the electronic speedo in an '86 dash. Let us know how it turns out.

cpearson1342

Are you saying I would need the whole SN95 evaporator box or just the core? And if you could give me any ideas for the wiring harness that would be great, I'm trying to only use the speedo, ignition, obdii, and maybe the cruise control, is that even possible or do I need more of the harness? Also is it possible to get rid of the dash fuse box completely since I will be using the stock 86 one? I'm pretty good with wiring and soldering so I should be able to figure it out once everything is stripped, I just don't want to be flying blind. Thanks for any help.

cpearson1342

I don't think so, there's not much room for everything to fit. I ended up taking my box apart and bringing the cut off evaporator core ends and the 86 core to a tig welder and it was only about $30. Even if you could get an adapter, the bottom (smaller) end comes very close to the block and would hit before the new ends were put on. It's easier than it seems, just measure to about the same length as the new core ends and make sure the angle is right before they weld it.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
That's about what I did with the last one. I measured where I thought the pieces should be and marked them with a sharpie. I took both boxes to a machine shop and the work was a perfect fit. I wrapped the fittings after they exited the firewall to protect them from the extra heat. It wasn't as clean and pretty as bare aluminum, but it worked well.

David

Hey there, I don't know if you got your evaporator issued resolved, but I have done the mach swap into an 86...mind you I swapped the dash over as well.... If you have any questions I would love to help... maybe save you some time, money, and heart ache....

David

I used everything from the mach and installed it on the fox... going through the firewall, I had to make some small adjustments but nothing major (for ac and heater core)... using the stock k member from the mach has the engine extremely close to the firewall.... and everything including the clutch cable. Either lowering the k member or getting a tubular one (which I went tubular) gives you extra room for things coming through the firewall... ill post a pic of the engine bay shortly since I have everything out at the moment...

David

On another note, if you notice where the throttle cable comes through the firewall, I made a hole above it in an attempt to move it away from the valve cover (it was slightly bent by the valve cover)....THAT WAS A HORRIBLE IDEA... don't do it... it puts the throttle cable at too much of an angle and hangs up...

Would you like any more pics since I'm out in the garage tonight?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Those are awesome pics. I love the smoothed panels, and the shaft bearing looks right at home there.

cpearson1342

David, how did you get your wiper motor to work in there, I still don't have mine mounted. Did you re-drill new holes for it?

whiteponygt

All I did was took the two motors side by side and swapped the Fox bracket that mounts to the cowl on to the sn motor and it bolted right up