• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I'm on my way...steering question.

MeanLX

Well I picked up the hydroboost w/lines and pump, cross member, LCAs, steering rack (complete w/tie rods) and a few other misc. bits from a friends 98 GT. I'm waiting to see what else I can score from it since he's going full race car mode. Which is great news for me as well! LOL

However, I'm a bit fuzzy on the steering and LCA deal. I've read some places that say the stock SN95 rack is too wide if you use Fox LCA's. However, I've also read that the '98 LCA's move the wheel back in the wheelwell. I have really found a definitive answer on whether my 86 Bird LCA's will bolt up to the GT cross member (I'm assuming it will). I'm wondering if I would source some 94-95 GT LCA's and spindles.

Also, does anyone happen to know what size fuel lines a 3.8 Tbird used? I can't seem to find that info on the Bird/Cougar specific sites.

Thanks!

Bill

Staff member
Donator

MeanLX

I didn't see any mention about the rack but it sounds like the Mustang control arms will be pushing my wheels out.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The longer control arms change the offset require for the front wheels. They actually push the face of the hub out. Where the wheels lie in relation to the center of the useable wheel well is a function of offset and is relative to the wheels you choose, whether you choose roll the fenders, etc. It sounds like it might be time to cash a reality check. What do you plan to do with the car. Will it be a daily driver? Will it ever go to the drag strip or autocross course? Do you already have a set of wheels you want to run?

MeanLX

I don't have wheels for it but plan to run Bullitts or something similar so I don't want to mess with the offset. It's going to be more of a cruiser that will probably see the strip but only TnT or possibly a bracket race.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Problem solved. Bullets are available in many different offsets, widths, and sizes. Here are some examples:
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Clearanc...t-Bullet-Deep-Dish-Wheel-black_5#.U1H6gE2PLIU
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Clearanc...t-Bullet-Deep-Dish-Wheel-black_2#.U1H7IU2PLIU
Put these two together and you have a set of offset 20s for under $400. Not a bad deal for someone running late fox Mustang fenders (bad deal for the 86)
The point is that you need to think in terms of how much room you have, how wide a tire you want to run, and where you want the center of the tire to ride in relation to the center of the available wheel well. That will dictate the offset. Bullets are a good choice for that, as a number of companies make replicas with myriad offset availability. If the EXACT offset you want isn't available, Maximum Motorsports and a number of other reputable manufacturers have quality spacers available. My personal recommendation for your setup would be a set of 17s (the 20s I showed in the links would be way to much wheel for an 86 fender opening)running 275s in the back and 245s in the front. That will make a comfortable cruiser with great handling characteristics (assuming quality tires and alignment). That set up will also give you a bad-ass look and will fill the fenders up nicely without requiring your fenders to be rolled. We didn't talk about what rearend you plan to use, but if you are going to be near factory track width in the front, I assume you will run fox width 8.8 5-lug?

MeanLX

I haven't decided in the rear yet. Possibly a SN95 rear because the T-birds have a bit more room in back. I have to double check my info on that. I definitely need to organize my notes!

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The Tbirds definitely have plenty of room for just about any set up you want. Does your bird have the bigger fuel tank?