• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Manual Transmission choices

Spdjunky

Need a little help here.
Could you guys help rate the manual trans by power reliability and performance.

Technically, the T5 doesn't go behind the 4.6

I know the T5 is rated around 400 lbs stock. ( I think)
Where does the T56 and 3650 come in at?

I was planning on using the T5 for now, but I found a 3650 on Craigslist for $100 that grinds going into 3rd at high rpm, (sounds like synchro). ...... T5 parts are cheap, I'm new to the other trannys.

How do all of them fit into the fox?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
any of them you are likely to use fit into a fox just fine. The 3650 was an upgrade that replaced the T45. The price tag on your 3650 looks good if it is just synchros. Stifflers make's a crossmember that will allow it to bolt right up.

Svt Fox

Staff member
I'm running a T-45. Not a bad trans so far and it doesn't take much to have them hold 600ftlb's of torque.

Spdjunky

I had heard that some of the tranmissions don't like high rpm shifting. Supposedly the synchros or cut of the gears aren't optimal for high rpm shifts.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
We have had several a number of T45s that survived iron man driving at autocross events for multiple seasons, as well as daily drivers. Don't forget that the T45 has survived behind many 32v Cobra motors for years.

Svt Fox

Staff member
get a 4r70W and be done with it.:)

Heh. I knew Kurt would like this post!

If you want optimum, constant straight line performance, go 4r all day.

If you like to shift, the T45 is a very good, inexpensive option. It doesn't have the extra gear but, it's lighter and not nearly as notchy!

I had a 3650 in a bullitt I owned many moons ago and it would grind at high RPM shifts. Granted it could have been from someone in the past not knowing what they where doing and really messing it up before I got it. Over all though it was a good trans. To me it was missing a gear.

04Ryan

I'll be running a T45 in my Modfox...since I'm keeping the stock Fox speedo I need the T45 to be able to drive the mechanical speedo.

04Ryan

I didnt think of that. I wonder if the 3650 has the cable mount

It does not...they do not have the provisions on the output shaft to drive a mechanical speedo. Just like on the later model 4R70W's, Ford deleted the gear on the output shaft since it was no longer needed.

Speedtospare

T-56 and do the Antivenom mod. Antivenom Mod costs 2 bucks. My combination of antivenom mod, triax shifter, centerforce DFX clutch shifts like butter. Best trans I have ever own. I have no shifting issues at 7000 rpm.

Brink

I did not realize the 3650 didn't have the provisions for mechanical speedo. Hmm might have to trade my 3650 off for a T45.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
I did not realize the 3650 didn't have the provisions for mechanical speedo. Hmm might have to trade my 3650 off for a T45.
yeah im trying to figure out some type of trick to make it work, im running a 96 cobra harness but I also run a 3650 trans. If I cant figure something out im just gonna run it without the speedo lol.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
You might consider mounting a small digital speedo someplace that doesn't look hidious